For those that guessed on my mosaics that we were taking in the beauty of Colorado from our bikes...you were right on! And, YES, we did see a bigfoot ;)

Since we had to allow 2 days to get there and 2 more back pulling our toy hauler RV, we only had 4 full days of cycling. Day one was a ride up into the mountain community of
Cripple Creek where we visited the Pike's
Peak Heritage Center,

viewed one of the working gold mines...

and browsed the downtown which is 90 percent casinos and reminded us a lot of Deadwood, SD.

Three roads lead out of Cripple Creek across the mountain ranges to
Canon City and two were 4 wheel drive vehicles only but we still had a wonderful trip south on the High Road. Our first stop was at the
Holy Cross Abbey to visit their winery. I love to search out local wineries on our roadtrips and this one was a great place to visit.

Next we rode over to the
Royal Gorge and Bridge which as the sign boasts is the tallest suspension bridge in the world.

We rode over the bridge and...

walked over the bridge where we felt the bridge sway in the high winds.

This was the view of the bottom of the gorge and the Arkansas River below us. We watched the many rafters on this section of the river as they looked like little bugs below us.

Then we took the world's steepest incline railway, to the bottom of the gorge...

where we saw the rafters up close...

and the bridge and red aerial tram car above us.

Next we rode the world's longest single span aerial tram car (hard to see in this photo taken from the bridge, but it is the red spot in the upper right quadrant)back across the gorge...

where we got to see this view of the bridge. Did you notice all the world's tallest, steepest, longest? They like to play up things at this park ;)

We walked through their wildlife park on the way back to our bikes and saw buffalo including this white bull...

all generations of elk, but the white spotted babies were too cute...

and bighorn sheep.

We were told in Cripple Creek that it rains almost every day at between 4 and 6 oclock so we decided we better head back through the mountains to our campground. As we drove the sky looked more and more threatening...

and soon it started raining. We stopped and put on our rain jackets and kept driving through the rain but soon it turned to hail. It was the hardest driving I have ever done in my 7 years of biking - in fact it was downright painful as the pea and marble sized ice chunks hit your hands and face.

I was in the lead and there was nowhere to safely seek shelter in the accompanying lightening storm until 3 miles later when I pulled into the Thunderbird Inn.

We were drenched but safely waited for the hail to stop with quite a large group of fellow bikers who all had their "I survived the hailstorm" stories to tell. The Thunderbird Inn however was an interesting story itself...too long to tell in blogville ;)
13 comments:
Fascinating pictures,having been in that area many years ago.I didn't want to cross the Royal Gorge bridge then and looking at it I have not changed my mind.Glad you had a good time.
Blessings,Ruth
Marsha, you've had some wonderful adventures and seen great sites. Aren't the elks and bighorns magnificent?
I've only crossed the Royal Gorge once. It was intense.
At least you'll have stories to tell for years about your drive in the hailstorm. Glad they weren't the size of golf balls.
such an enjoyable trip...wonderful beauty...sorry about the hail you had to endure
the abbey looks alot like the church i was married in here in Atlanta...the Inn has some pretty good prices hanging on the wall, so it would have been a good place to stop...did you play the piano?
Fantastic pictures, I have never been to that area. I'm sure you'll never look at hail the same way again. Glad you had fun!
What an adventure! You have some fantastic photos. That was some hailstorm! We have been out on our boat in a bad rainstorm before and it's probably a similiar experience - Scary! Nothing worse!!
Looks like you did alot in a few days,,the photos are gorgeous..such terrific scenery.
I know what you mean about the hail..was caught in one on a golf course once, glad I wasn't driving the cart so I could duck my head down!
Looking forward to some more photos...
And I was just kidding about NE on your mosaic :-)
What a day you all had Marsha! Beautiful scenery! Glad you made it through the storm safely!
Wow!! What a great series of photos to document your trip...amazing vistas and neat bikes to see it all from...!!
Ya'll saw some very neat things!! I have been in bars like this one..I can only imagine the stories that go with that place!!
The view from that bridge ---- WOW WOW WOW! What a trip this must have been.
I just want to say you are OUT THERE and living life to its fullest and I admire what you do! Thanks for taking us along for the 'ride', Marsha.
Whoa....that bridge would totally creep me out!
Sacred White Buffalo -- very cool! I thought they were just in legends.
We've rode in rain before, but never hail. OUCH!! Glad you escaped that unscathed.
Post a Comment