Wednesday, August 19, 2009

after the rain...

It rained off and on today so in between showers I snuck out to take a couple of raindrop shots. The first two are one of my new clematises I planted this spring...viticella 'Venosa Violacea'. Isn't she a beauty?

Next up is another of the new clematis...John Huxtable. He is equally pretty or shall I say handsome?
I have never had luck growing hollyhocks but after hearing of Lucie & Laura's dancing ballerina blossoms I tried once again this year by buying two plants. I am happy to report that one survived and I hope I can get some of the seeds to grow in the back next year.

Around suppertime tonight we really had a downpour and then the sun tried to peek through the gently falling rain. It created the most beautiful double rainbow that I tried to take photos of without too many rain splatters on the lens.





I love rainbows, especially double ones and these photos truly don't do what I saw justice - the second rainbow didn't photograph well.

14 comments:

Foley said...

I'm so envious the way your clematis pops up in the first yer..I'm getting some flowers few and far between so I will have to wait for next year!
The rainbow shots are gorgeous..being in the country you can get a great view...
Take it easy and let Jeff spoil you a little!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, were there two pots of gold with the double rainbow? What a great view! Your clematis are doing well, and the raindrop shots are stunning. Take it easy my friend :-)

Jayne said...

Oh, wow! Those rainbow shots are amazing Marsha!!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW!The rainbow shots are excellent.
Blessings,Ruth

Richard said...

I have had no luck with my clematis. Planted 3 and only one survived but for some reason never got move then about 6" high then it would break off. It would do this 2-3 time a year. Finally dug it up and now have it in a pot under a plant light but it's really not doing anything. Maybe I need to bring it over to you to plant in your garden.

Great rainbow shots. I seldom see a full rainbow and haven't seen any here at the lake. Maybe I have to many trees to see them.

Marsha said...

What great photos! Oh, your rainbow shots are something else! God's beauty is beyond words. I read your last CO post too and I'll have to say, you certainly have my vote. Anyone woman who rides all over those mountainous steep roads deserves the title of REAL WOMAN! :=)

Tina said...

Wow, Marsha what a show!! Those flower colors are so strong and gorgeous and those rainbows..soooo wide and arched..neat! Maybe a pot of gold is waiting for you somewhere??

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Wheeee!! Double rainbows are so special.

Cynthia said...

Your clematis do seem to be thriving and definitely are good-looking, both handsome and pretty. ;)

Wonderful pictures of the double rainbow. I can't recall ever seeing one. I know how hard it is hard to photograph rainbows ... great job.

Bonnie said...

Love the double rainbow and cloud photos!

JeanMac said...

I love the clematis pics. Your rainbow is just beautiful.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

My VV has come and gone already but I do love it!

Fantastic rainbow photos, Marsha! I can see the double rainbow - especially in the first and second shots. What an amazing view you have of it! We're so surrounded by trees we'd never have such an unobstructed view.

ChrisJ said...

Beautiful photos. I just realized why we haven't been getting too many butterflies this year. I am feeding the birds which have about tripled in number since last year. Hence no butterflies but no caterpillars either.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed your clematis and hollyhocks, and when I got to the rainbow photos, "Oh, wow!" came out of my mouth. How lovely, and I know about not quite capturing what you saw in person. Still, they are remarkable.