
This guy is certainly a bold one - with me standing at the window he came in twice this morning for a fish breakfast.

The pond water is very green from an algae bloom caused by all the extra nutrients the grackles are giving it these days so it is hard to see my fish. I have been complaining to Jeff for two days though that I was worried the heron may already have been fishing because I usually can see them in the early morning doing their mating rituals up at the surface near the edges.

Several years ago we had one come in and get about 25 fish and this year I don't have that many to spare...so I am headed out to the garden to make my presence known and hopefully he will move on. I might have to move Hershey's bed to the bridge too ;)

en
13 comments:
Mr. Bold! I suppose one of those fake owls wouldn't bother him either. I hope your fish population doesn't get thinned any more than it already has!
i'd be fixin my doggie some bird soup!
Good luck! Hope you have a strong presence!!
Wow and I feel I have a problem when the house sparrows won't leave the little Carolina wrens alone!!...don't think I would want to be running out to the backyard to take on this little guy!! Good luck..I hope he finds another food source!!
Well, of all the nerve.:) You did get greatpictures of him.Sure hope he left without any fish.
Blessings,Ruth
The green heron is quite bold - Hershey would probably keep him away for a time, then he would just get used to him! lol
Good Luck in keeping your fishies safe....
Oh, Marsha, he is a bold one and has mean look about him. Hopefully the fish survive his brashness.
I've seen birds around her "dive bomb" dogs that bark at them. I'd hate to see the heron take out any aggression on Hershey.
The bird you have photographed is wonderful! I have yet to find the patience to capture such a beautiful creature.
I wanted to compliment you on your cork board style header. FABULOUS!!!! SUPER creative and I can't wait to stop back soon.
Enjoy spring in your garden.
Well, at least he posed and let you get some great photos of him, but really, what nerve! Wonder if one of those decorative stone dogs laying on the bridge would help? I don't think Hershey would be happy about his guard duty! I hope all of your fish don't become this guy's dinner. laurie
Well, I am sure he's thinking...."how nice of these people to create a fishing hole for me!" :c)
Marsha, my friend in Florida had a similar problem. Can you cover it with something mesh? I think that's what she ended doing.
You really have your work cut out for you with that beautiful garden.
Yep, you just may have to put Hershey on duty! That would be incredible to have a Heron visit!!
Great shots, Marsha!
Great shots of the heron, but sorry for his visit to snatch some food. Good luck!
Post a Comment