Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Yellow-headed Blackbird...

Though I occassionally get the red-winged blackbirds in the backyard, I have never seen a yellow-headed visit. Yesterday, I was running errands and took the camera along - I was lucky enough to spot several yellow-headed blackbirds in the sloughs along the Minnesota River. I love how his white wing bars are barely visible when standing still but are a beautiful sight when in flight.





Have a great day...

13 comments:

A Grain of Salt said...

Oh, Marsha, another group of excellent shots. How do you do that? I just can't get good bird pics. What an interesting bird. I do get a lot of red-winged black birds.

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful looking bird ... looks like he dipped his head and neck in yellow paint.

Great shots, Marsha... I'm so glad you had your camera with you so you could share with us.

Peggy said...

Awesome bird! One I wish I will see some day! Congrats on this rare find!

Foley said...

What a shot - the one in flight is perfect! I've never seen this species of blackbird. The only ones I get in the yard are the one with the deep blue around the head... How in the world did you manage to spot him????

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have some great in flight shots.I now NEED to go back to the local marsh and try again.
Blessings,Ruth

Tina said...

Wow, I never even knew there was a yellow headed black bird!!! What an awesome find. I liked that you caught him in flight as well as perched..plus you saw more than one!! So...jealous..but very happy for you!! ;-)

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, you captured some marvelous shots. I haven't seen this species of blackbird. I will check with my science teacher friend to see if we have this species at our marsh. Thanks for sharing.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great pictures, Marsha! You are so smart to take your camera with you! What a great sighting.

Suzy said...

Nature is so incredible. What a beautiful bird. And your pictures are magazine quality Marsha. Absolutely great post!

Unknown said...

Yeah, we have the red-winged too, never seen this one......very good photos.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I checked and the yellow headed blackbird doesn't show up this far east. Thank you for sharing him with me.

Jayne said...

That backdrop is perfect!! Oh, what a beauty he is Marsha. Bravo!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Oh, baby, is he beautiful!!
Never saw one, it's so much more interesting than the ugly old brown-headed cowbirds that visit here!

Beautiful, shots, WOW!