5 months ago
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Texas birds...
I enjoyed seeing LOTS of birds in Texas. By far, the most common bird seen there were the vultures I have been showing in previous posts, the black vulture. We saw 100's of them...in large groups fighting over roadkill, circling high overhead and down close to us everytime we stopped. We kept daring each other to lay down and see if they would land but after close up views of them on roadkill we weren't quite that stupid ;)
There were also lots of turkey vultures, red heads vs gray heads.
I was thrilled that the next bird, the scissor-tailed flycatcher, was also so common.
We saw many of them along electric wires and fence lines.
Their long tail was just so fun and when they flew over you, their salmon colored underside was beautiful. These guys were "lifers" for me.
We visited many state parks and Pedernales Falls State Park has several nesting pairs of the endangered golden-cheeked warblers. The lady at the park office told us that many were seeing them on this trail...
so on an 86 degree afternoon we climbed and descended...
and climbed again. We heard lots of singing and saw lots of other little warblers and songbirds but never did see the golden-cheeked so check out the link for photos of the beauty.
This park also had a bird blind set up where they feed the birds so you can get up close and watch them. There were so many beautiful birds feeding, I think I could have sat there all day...the only thing stopping me was this sign on the hike back into the blind area.
In the feeding area there were many cardinals,

western scrub jays,
and unknown birds. I couldn't recognize this one...
or this one. It looked a little like a goldfinch but definitely wasn't one.
The following were all "lifers" for me as well, the black-crested titmouse...
the lark sparrow,
the lesser goldfinches,

the northern bobwhite,
and the ladderback woodpecker. (He/she is on the tree branch above the birdbath on the right)
Another bird the park hosts each year but they don't arrive until mid to late April is the painted buntings. The lady told me last year they had six brightly colored males at the feeders and a really successful breeding year so they expected many more back. If they would have been present I think I would have sat with the snakes all day and told Jeff to ride by himself for a day. There were many more birds I enjoyed seeing on this trip but no photos...when your husband rides a bike with screamin eagle pipes there isn't time to grab a camera before he scares them off ;) Sorry, this post got so LONG...but you know me and birds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Beautiful photos! Okay, I do not care for vultures of any type. Love the trails..........no way in Hades would I have even got close enough to read that sign!!
Oh no,it wasn't long at all.I enjoyed each of the birds.That Flycatcher is quite a beauty.Boy,would I ever enjoy spending time in an area like that.
Blessings,Ruth
wow, that bunting would be worth the wait.
thx for the gr8 pics!
i used to sit at my uncle's farm early in the mornings and talk with the bob whites...i'll never forget that...thanks for reminding me of those days :)
WOW, that was a real treat!! To be able to view these birds through you is so much nicer than seeing them in a book. The Scissor-tail is incredible. They must really appear odd when flying, with all of that tail. Great post, thank you!!
Oooh! I want a Lark Sparrow! That's a perfect picture and my favorite (after the TUVU of course!) I'd love to see more of the western birds. We're hoping to make another visit to Art's folks in Arizona some time so I'll just have to wait for that.
That Scissor-tailed Flycatcher sire is neat too.
I'll take a pass on the rattlers though...
That TUVU picture shows off the silvery wing lining perfectly.
grinning~~~~~
Amazing. I need to think about a trip down that way next winter!
I think the rattlesnake sign would have sent me running but you got so many great bird shots! The tail on the scissor-tailed flycatcher is amazing.
Great photos. I love to watch birds. They are beautiful creatures.
Pretty birds! I don't know any names, except I do recognize the Cardinal :) but I am learning plenty every time I visit, Marsha! Beautiful shots! the rattlesnakes would have me running with Susan, although I'd run very, very quietly!
Beautiful, Marsha! I love the shot of the boots on the side of the cycle!
What kind of lens are you using for all your close up bird shots? Hope all is well!
Love, Jennifer
What great birding photos Marsha. You have the knack at capturing them! The vultures are scary. The Turkey vulture looks neat in flight though. Love the scissor tails the most!!! Aren't they cute :-) Does Jeff enjoy the birding part? I wish I could get Randy to be interested outside of those in our yard. I'd love to traipse around looking for them! Thanks for taking me with you.
Great bird photos, Marsha. ... We've seen quite a few vultures this spring - more than usual it seems.
I love how you captured the cardinal with his crest up.
Those vultures are definitely scary looking!! I don;t think I would have laid down either...
The flycatcher was cool - I didn;t realize they had such a long tail...
Rattlesnake sign would have sent me fast in the other direction...
Great photos - loved enlarging them and really getting a good look!!!
Marsha, you always amaze me with your bird shots. Beautiful!
Could one of the unknown birds be a mockingbird? My sister in Texas comments about them. My bird book doesn't have a very good picture. Betty
What a great variety of birds Marsha! Love that flycatcher... could look at him all day long. :c)
I think Betty is right that the first bird is a mockingbird. My son, a bird lover thinks the second one is some type of vireo.
Enjoyed your pictures of my adopted state. (from MN) You have seen parts of TX I haven't seen in our 20 years here.
Dawn,
I do have to say that this is one area I wouldn't mind visiting..to see that flycatcher..wow! and that bunting..whoa! Nice post with some great birdee pics!
Oh my, what nice birds you have! Loved the scissortail, it's one I can only wish for some day! Fantastic post!
Post a Comment