Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring in the garden...

It has been a busy but very exciting week here so I'm sorry for the little break in blogging...in my absence spring has arrived in our yard! This morning Hershey & I spotted the very first blossom in the backyard...a tiny little iris showcased above and if you look very hard it is the small blossom behind the seashell on the left side of the below photo! Hard to spot but thrilling being the official start of the blooming season.
The first color has also blossomed in the front landscape...my baby forsythia shrub. It is only about 12 inches tall but so exciting to see as it is a new plant for me and the first time it has bloomed.
In the busy days I wasn't blogging I was working on draining & cleaning out the pond (with help from Jeff & Nathan) and got it refilled, the pumps up and running and the fish back in their summer home.
It is a joy to once again watch the birdies drink and bathe on the rock fountain. Just this morning, I was telling Jeff, Jayme & Scott that there is still a chance of snow as the juncos are still here in pretty big numbers...
and then while I was working on this blog post a few minutes ago I spotted this little guy out of the corner of my eye. I almost tripped over the computer cords running for the camera and...
I'm happy to say the butterbutts (yellow rumped warblers) are back...Spring is definitely here to stay!
This weekend we also had the first pre-wedding event and Nathan's aunts hosted a wonderful bridal shower for Tammy, our soon to be daughter-in-law. It was a wonderful time and we appreciated all the time & effort they put into hosting it and all the wonderful guests that arrived to share the day with Tammy.
Thank you Renae, Tammie, Jan, Linda, Barb, Julie, Kay, Lois, Deb & Keri for hosting - you are all wonderful sisters/sister-in-laws! I volunteered to make the centerpieces...more on is posted on my Kitchen blog.

17 comments:

Foley said...

The iris is so pretty, the raindrops add to it perfectly! I was able to spot it in the 2nd photo, it is small! But it's COLOR!!!
Have never seen a yellow rumped warbler - I'm trying to make my back yard more bird friendly this year, hoping to attract more different types of birds.

Glad the shower went well....

troutbirder said...

Great post. I liked the yellows today. The forsythia and the B.B

Tina said...

First time I've seen the butter on the rump!!
Great post..very intricate little iris you have there.. :)

Carol said...

I've been waiting for spring in your garden, Marsha! Your winter was absolutely beautiful, and your spring beginning is very pretty!

Glad the shower went well! Congrats!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The many different signs of spring are so welcome.That little Iris sure is pretty.
Blessings,Ruth

Kathleen said...

Oh, I love the butterbutt! That is a great photo!

Happy Spring!

Skoots1moM said...

you are so talented...i went over and looked at your centerpieces...awesome!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wishing your son and new soon-to-be DIL all the best! You must have had a wonderful weekend of joy :)

A Grain of Salt said...

Yea, Spring is arriving in MN! I bet the shower was a great success! Tammy is joining a lovely family.

RuthieJ said...

Great Pictures! Happy Spring Marsha!

Unknown said...

I am excited for your arrival of Spring! I so enjoyed your garden photos last summer and am looking forward to this year's photos!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I always enjoy seeing the natural beauty of the seasons through your eyes. Butterbutt is just too cute!

P.Z. Our satellite gazebo made it through the winter without collapsing from all snow :-)

Jayne said...

Yay, spring is back at Marsha's Garden!!! :c) I know Tammy will be so happy to be a part of your wonderful family.

Peggy said...

Love that Iris! Can't believe you have a butterbutt already! Fantastic shots!

Jennifer Boyle Penney said...

I wish I could've been there at Tammy's shower! I can tell she's a really sweet person. Looks like quite the party!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

I just love your pup's name...Hershey...so appropriate. So glad you caught Spring before it gets away. It seems it only lasts for a brief period of time.

You are so lucky with all of your kitchen helpers. Appears to be a great group. Wish I could grab one of those cupcakes!!

Suzy said...

I'm so glad spring is arriving at your place!!! You have one of the best gardens around and I am going to enjoy seeing it come back to life. Glad your fishies are okay!