Friday, April 24, 2009

love in the cottonwoods...

I am lucky that I have had a pair of kestrels nest high in a cottonwood tree for the past 3 years. Yesterday, I witnessed mating courtship {graphic photos ahead so if this offends you come back and read a new post tomorrow}. First, the Mrs. came and soon the Mr. flew in.
They perched in the tree that they nest in...parts of it are hollow.
He preened and preened to look his best...



while she did the same.
Doesn't it look like she has eyes in the back of her head?
Soon they were cleaned and fluffed and admiring each other.
She raised her tail, but he ignored her...
so she took flight...
and went to him...
for some love in the cottonwoods.





19 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good photos.....isn't love grand?

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

It's so remarkable to witness mating in any wild creature. Neat series.

A Grain of Salt said...

OMG, Marsha. No privacy for the little lovers. You know, I just never thought about this before, but I'll always remember now!

RuthieJ said...

Oh Marsha, you're so lucky to have them nesting close by AND in a natural cavity! Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Cynthia said...

Wonderful series of photos, Marsha. Love the shots of the underneath side of the wing feathers. And yes, the black spots on the back of the female's head do look like eyes.

We don't like our neighbor's cottonwood tree that is right on the property line, BUT if there were resident kestrels, it definitely would make it more palatable.

Becca's Dirt said...

Wow what great photography. I have never witnessed birds mating. It's awesome that you were able to catch them and photograph their mating. So sweet! Watch for the babies to hatch.

From the Old InkWell said...

AWWWHHH! :=O

TOO COOL!

Foley said...

Marsha - Great photos..but now you have turned me into a voyeur!!! lol

Did you at least have a cigarette and brandy standing by for them????

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Nature is a wonderful thing! Soon there will be nest building :) Barb - LOL!

troutbirder said...

Well done Kestrals! I never realized how beautiful these little predators were till I got my binocs last year.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

And they lived happily ever after.:)Great capture on your part.
Blessings,Ruth

jalynn01 said...

What a magic opportunity for you to have these birds so close for you to watch. You will have to keep us posted on the nesting and hatching. They are the cutest fledglings. Love the 'love' picts. That is really hard to get unless you are ready.. It's over so quickly. My female here is in the nest and he continues to bring her mice and call her out to eat.

Carol said...

LOL, Barb :)

Great pictures, Marsha!

Ashley ~ said...

I wanted to pop over to vist and tell you thank you so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog. This is my first time to visit yours, and I love all the pretty pictures of the birds. I call them God's gifts to us. Thank you for sharing your pretty pics. _Ashley*

Suzy said...

What an amazing series of photos you caught Marsha! For the longest time I always though birds were like fish..and just somehow sprinkled the eggs lol. Until I saw.... I'm glad they have fun too! I don't know how they keep their balance lol. Thank you for sharing these great photos. And for sharing the *birds and the bees* with those who might not understand the ins and outs of these kinds of things....

Wanda said...

Love is beautiful.....

Anonymous said...

Very good post. It takes a lot of patience to follow the process you did. Nice photography.

Tina said...

Oh how lucky you are to have mating kestrels in your backyard!!
Love all your pictures..do hope you are able to keep us up dated on the family affair. Kestrels are such beautiful birds..its hard, sometimes, to see them as the little killers they are..

Peggy said...

Excellent phots, especially considering all the distracting branches that I am sure played havoc on focusing! Great series!