Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nothing gold can stay. . .





When the last hollyhock has fallen
and only seeds remain,
Despite my melancholy
I shall never complain,
For each seed holds a promise
That they shall bloom again.








As summer turns to Autumn
and the hummers fly away,
I file away such memories
to relive another day.
The seasons must keep changing
For "nothing gold can stay."
(Clay Harrison)




We only had a high temperature of 58 degrees today with a predicted high of 48 tomorrow and a low of 35 degrees. I am not ready for a possible frost and the arrival of autumn. With so much color and activity still in in the garden it is hard to believe that autumn officially begins on Saturday but these cool temps and the leaves starting to change on the trees brings me back to reality. I am not complaining - I love fall. The colors, the smells, the orange harvest moons, working outside in cooler temps, and the crunch of fallen leaves. . .I love it all.




Still I can't help feeling a little melancholy over the loss of my beautiful blooms and summer birds, especially the hummers. When I went out to photograph today I found this little guy in a state of torpor. He didn't move at all so I snapped my photo and left him alone, I hope he survives these cold evenings. I wonder how many more days I will see them before they leave to warmer temps in the south.

No comments: