Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Blackbird song. . .


Over the housetops,
Over the trees,
Winging their way
In a stiff fall breeze.
A flock of birds
Is flying along
Southward, for winter,
Singing a song.
(Author unknown)


This morning I went outside and heard the LOUD chatter of hundreds of blackbirds gathered in the cottonwood trees. I guess this bi-annual gathering means autumn has not only officially begun on the calender but also in the "air". The large flocks signal spring in late April and harvest time in September. They spent most of the morning flying from trees to the cornfield and back again.

Our MN weathermen are predicting a cold spell for the rest of the week so I spent some time outdoors enjoying the birds and blooms. The asters are looking great this year and I like the combination of the pink ones with rudebeckia and the purple ones with yellow canary vine.


For now, I am enjoying those noisy blackbirds (grackels) that I can't stand the rest of the year :-)

No comments: