Wednesday, August 04, 2010

visitors on a hot day...

Yesterday was HOT! 96 degrees and high humidity made for an uncomfortable day but also a great bird watching day. Because it was so hot, the rock fountain was covered in birds all day long seeking to cool off. I tried to take the camera outside to get some photos but the lens would immediately fog up in the humidity so these photos were taken through the window. Above is an eastern kingbird waiting for his turn to fly onto the rock. The fall migration has started and below is a warbler - this time of year it is hard to id them but I think female or immature yellow warbler maybe?
There were several female rose breasted grosbeaks visiting...
and they displayed the behavior of being overheated by constantly having their beaks open.
Other than sparrows the most frequent bather are the robins and I enjoy seeing the youngsters with their spotted breasts.
Have a great day and I hope everyone has a way to stay cool, me - I'm thankful for air conditioning!

7 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

They look cool but I know how hot it's been! This morning, our living room windows were covered with condensation outside because of the high humidity outdoors meeting the cooler air-conditioned windows.

You are so good to your birds, Marsha! Great shots.

Unknown said...

What exquisite pic, Marsha. I posted several of my gold finches today. It is so relaxing to just sit & watch them all as they flit about in their little lives.

Have a beautiful summer's day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Marigene said...

Great pictures, Marsha. I like watching the young robins, too. I watched one pull a worm out after I had watered, what a show!

Wanda said...

More great pictures.... wish they could all become paintings.


How do you feel about cows...that's the challenge this week.

Simple Home said...

Well, it's about the same temps here, but we don't have the humidity, so I'm sure it feels hotter there. I wonder how people lived here before a/c.
Beautiful images!
Blessings,
Marcia

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, how sweet to see them taking a bath. They look so happy playing in the water. :)

Suzy said...

Cute little visitors. I learned something about the open beak! I'll have to notice that if it gets hot again this year.