Tuesday, August 17, 2010

sea stars...

Our family had a fun time visiting the tidepools during low tide at Natural Bridges State Beach near Santa Cruz, CA. My favorites were seeing all the starfish or as we learned from others they are now called sea stars. In the collage of the tidepools below, there are 6 in just the small area Jayme is kneeling at.
Their colors varied from bright orange to salmon to a purple color so they were easy to spot.
While the sea stars were my favorite things to spot, I also really enjoyed seeing the anemones, crabs, coral and other creatures usually found under the sea.
Along the Santa Cruz wharf we spotted sea lions and more sea stars on the piers at low tide. The top photo is the Santa Cruz boardwalk as viewed from the wharf.
More CA tomorrow :)

7 comments:

Marigene said...

Another batch of fabulous photos...I love the ones of the starfish...I can't make myself call them sea stars. Isn't it amazing what wondrous things the ocean can produce? Those sea lions look all nice and comfy lounging dockside!

Simple Home said...

What a wonderful collage of beautiful photos. I haven't seen sea lions like that since I was a teenager. I love the starfish/sea stars :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Wanda said...

Wow, what cool pictures... I love those starfish... I've never heard them called sea stars..... love that.

Also love Santa Cruz.... when we lived up North we could visit more often. I haven't found a good beach here, even though there are many. None are as close as I'd like.

Carol said...

Very cool pictures, Marsha, of a very cool trip. Didn't know about different colored starfish! love the sea lions!

Darla said...

How much fun!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

It's been a long time since we've been to that part of California but I do remember all of the sea lions! I would have loved to see the starfish - they're beautiful.

Suzy said...

You saw so many great sights on your trip Marsha! I love the tidepools. I need to spend some time at those in Washington too. Amazing sea life. Those sea lions make me laugh.