Sunday, August 01, 2010

steeple Sunday...

We came upon this little country church while out on a drive this weekend with friends. It was surrounded by cornfields but it's steeple was towering above the surrounding trees so we could see it wasn't a farmsite.
Norunga Lutheran Church in rural Lowry, MN. The sign stated it was organized in 1871 but I did not see a cornerstone stating when the church was built.
I had to back out into the surrounding cemetery in order to frame the whole church in one photo. After snapping the above shot I looked down and saw this by my feet.
I am thankful I grew up in a generation with modern medicine where losing 3 babies in a 10 year period is a rare occurence.

We saw and visited this church on our way to the Kensington Runestone park where this marker marks the spot where the original runestone was found. If interested, click HERE for more info.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Life was certainly different than now ... how fortunate for us they laid the foundation of moving along in life & history & bringing forth a life easier for us than theirs.

Don't miss our giveaway ~
Have a beautiful summer's eve ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Carol said...

Interesting history and mystery, Marsha!

and a very beautiful Steeple!

Wanda said...

That grave marker made me sad, as both my mother and mother-in-law lost siblings or babies at very early ages...

Glad you came by the Art Blog...the gals are loving the art challenge and your butterflies are wonderful.

Wanda said...

Marsha, I just posted my second watercolor of the pale yellow butterfly. I think you'll like it!

Suzy said...

Really interesting. I've never heard of that Rune. Weirdness! Pretty church and sad little grave marker for the babies. Times definitely were different.