Friday, August 27, 2010

rescued...

Yesterday, right before I went outside to take photos of the monarchs I heard a bird crash into the patio door. I looked out and didn't see anything so grabbed my camera to go look for monarchs. As soon as I opened the door Hershey came running and suddenly stopped as if to pick up something...it was this little bird and so I called Hershey off before it became a "scooby snack". I picked it up and set it on our grill top and took it's photo (notice it has a hair in it's beak?) then called Hershey to come look for monarchs with me (she was still interested in having a snack) - when we left it was just sitting still with it's eyes closed. I checked back in a few minutes and it still was resting.
After I found the tree with all the monarchs I spent some time taking photos and then remembered the little bird - it was about 10 minutes later and it was now awake and looking around.
He stayed put while I took some photos so I shot away...


I even got a close up of the hair stuck in it's beak...

before he had enough and squawked at me...
and then gave me the cold shoulder.
I left for just a few minutes to take more monarch photos and when I returned he was gone - a happy ending for this little bird who I looked up and it appears to be a red-eyed vireo. The eyes appeared more brown than red to me so according to the description at the All About Birds link it could be an immature one.

8 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lucky Vireo,to have you around.:)

Wanda said...

What a blessing you were to this little guy!!!

Wonderful pictures!!!

Brenda said...

My goodness those are some sweet photos.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

What a sweet and lucky little birdie!

Jayne said...

Awww.... so glad he was OK. Such wonderfully sweet photos Marsha.

Darla said...

Beautiful close ups. Nice save too!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I'm so glad the cute, little guy was okay!

Carol said...

Aw, I'm glad he's ok. He looks kind of squishy to me! Funny about the hair!