Thursday, August 26, 2010

monarch migration...

Every year in late August I keep an eye on the garden in late evening. If I see a lot of monarchs around then I know that it is migration time and I will be rewarded with seeing groups of them "overnighting" in the trees in the morning.
This morning they "spooked" easily and many flew off when I moved in closer for photos.
My favorite photo with the blue sky background.
They weren't confined to the spruce trees - the windbreak of ash trees was full of groups of 2-3 but no large masses. There had to be a couple hundred spread out like that, I'm wondering if they had already dispersed by the time I got outside.
There were some in the white pines...

some in the colorado blue spruce...
and some in the tamarisk.
I am hoping more move through tonight but it past years it has been a one night wonder.

In 2006 - we spotted them on August 29-30. (click on the date for the link)
In 2007 - I spotted them on August 24th.
and in 2008 & 2009 I missed spotting them so I am thankful today for noticing them last night!

9 comments:

Darla said...

It's about time they start heading our way! I have yet to see even one. I would just mess my britches if I saw this wonder in my yard...you are blessed to be able to witness and document it.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW!!! That is an amazing spectacle.Thanks for sharing these images.
Blessings,Ruth

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Marsha!
How wonderful to have seen those beauties migrating! I was thrilled just looking at your pictures! It has been so wonderful catching up with all your backyard visitors that I missed out on while my computer was down. You have the most wonderful pics. Enjoy these last bits of summer!
Kate

jalynn01 said...

That is amazing.. I'm impressed. To see that many butterflies must be so awesome.

Jayne said...

WOW Marsha!! That is amazing! I will be sending a link to my sissy as she'll love seeing your visitors!

Carol said...

That is so cool, all those beautiful butterflies! Gorgeous shots, Marsha!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wonderful shots, Marsha! Your favorite is my favorite too - the blue sky really sets off the gorgeous Monarchs. How lucky you were to see their migration!

Wanda said...

That's just totally amazing. I stand in awe!

Bonnie said...

Marsha, I really love these photos. Every season gives us amazing gifts in our gardens.