Sunday, July 25, 2010

steeple Sunday...

We saw this rural Starbuck, MN church while cycling State Hwy 114 on a very cloudy day in June. This church was founded in 1872 but the date on the steeple says the current church was built in 1896.

Indherred Lutheran Church is built on a hill overlooking a lake across the highway. The original builders picked a perfect spot for a country church.

The property is surrounded by a fence with a ornate arched gate with their name displayed.
When I uploaded the photos to the blog I noticed something I did not notice in person. Doesn't it look like the last D in Indherred is backwards? I wonder if this was the original craftsman or a later repair job?

6 comments:

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hey! I've been there. I love that river valley area. (I went to school in Brookings, so it was pretty close.) It does look like that 'D' is backwards. I wonder how that happened? Love your pictures. They have a nice, moody quality to them. :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

That is one of the prettiest steeples I've seen. I love the white.

Carol said...

Looks very impressive!

Marigene said...

I love your weekly steeple photos, Marcia. Very pretty church, this week.

Jayne said...

Love the photo with the graveyard in the foreground. And it does indeed look like that "D" is backwards!

Suzy said...

Beautiful old church Marsha. You have so many of them around you. The gate is so neat and yes it does look backwards!