5 months ago
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Lac qui Parle...
On Sunday, Jeff & I decided to take another drive to look for wildlife. This time we went to Lac qui Parle lake in western MN. We have never been to this area with out seeing deer so I had my camera on my lap as we arrived. First we noticed deer tracks everywhere...
and soon we saw a group of 4 deer crossing the road. So I tried to open my window and it wouldn't go down, finally as they headed off into the woods, Jeff opened my window from the driver's side controls. Of course I missed the shot and they were the only 4 deer we saw all day. The window control is now on our "get it fixed" list :-)
LqP is known for the huge populations of geese migrating in the spring and fall as it is on one of the major flyways. This year there is open water above and below the dam and lots of geese have stayed for the winter.
It was fun to hear the honking and see them in flight, it almost made you feel like it was spring.

The water had to have been COLD, but it didn't seem to bother them.
Further north away there were several little fishing villages out on the ice. You could tell it was super bowl Sunday as only one vehicle was out fishing.
It is below zero again tonight and our weather said we have an average of 30 nights at or below zero each winter and tonight is our 30th already. It would be nice if that was it but I am afraid we are in for a colder than average winter this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
What a beautiful post of MN. Thanks for sharing.
Great photos! I love to hear the geese honking too. Ice fishing? can't wrap my brain around that one. It's freezing here in North Florida, not as freezing as it is where you are, but cold none the less. Maybe 18 degrees here tonight!!!!!!!!!!BRRRR
First photo looks like my backyard :-)
I'll bet all the geese honking is what made someone name it Lac qui Parle (the lake that talks)!
Too bad you missed the deer but you caught part of them, anyway :) Sounds like a wonderful day trip!
Speaking of cold, I read that the past two months (December and January) combined were the coldest here since the late 1880s!!! Our heating bill is $$$$ and we don't even keep our home that warm.
We made a quick trip through Lac Qui Parle a few years back. I sure would like to visit again.
I hear the lake talking also..
I love that name..Close to my heart~
Great pictures, Marsha! I love the first one. Tracks in the otherwise untouched snow!
Marsha, sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday.
How frustrating about the window... We've noticed that just opening the window makes the deer scurry around here.
Great pictures of the geese.
I enjoyed seeing your picture of the fishing villages on the ice. We don't have anything like them here.
Oh those are beautiful shots, Marsha...And I will take your prediction of spring, too!
If you need deer shots, let me know..do you want them eating my hydrangea or non flowering shrubs? :)
Post a Comment