Monday, February 16, 2009

grumpy old men & eagles...

Jeff & I had a fun Valentine's getaway following the Mississippii River from Red Wing, MN to Winona, MN. We stayed in Wabasha, famous for the location of the Grumpy Old Men movie. If you are in the area in two weeks they are hosting a Grumpy Old Men festival with ice fishing on the river and a polar plunge. The guys are famous here...even on some of the fun benches around town.
Wabasha is also home to the National Eagle Center which we enjoyed visiting.
The center has four resident eagles who are unable to return to the wild so they are used for educational purposes. Meet Columbia...

and then Angel. The center has windows in their enclosure and the wall facing the river is almost all glass. Angel spent most of her time watching wild eagles fly by on the river and when they had her out meeting people she would screech every time an eagle flew by outside.

This is Harriet, the third bald eagle.

They also have a resident golden eagle, named Donald. He is smaller than the bald eagles but still striking.

In the next post I'll share some of eagles we saw in the wild. I wanted to show you these first so you can spot the small white dots of their heads in the next photos (I need a bigger zoom, or tamer eagles) ;-)

17 comments:

Foley said...

What a great weekend - something so close to me and didn't even realize!

Love the photos, stories and can't wait for the next segment!!

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, what a special place to visit. The eagles are so regal. Thaks for sharing their stories. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your fun weekend.

Suzy said...

Thanks for taking us along Marsha. Looks like a neat place. I love the Eagle stories. We saw a couple at the zoo in the town where my parents live that had similar stories. They are such awesome creatures. Looking forward to the wild ones too!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I've always been intersted in eagles, and my co-worker just saw one last week near our office. He was going to try to take a picture over the weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your fun weekend.

Jayne said...

So sad that they were injured, but so wonderful that they've found homes there and are being well cared for as they educate the public.

Unknown said...

That is a great movie and what a neat bench. Interesting about each of the Eagles. Lovely photos.

Peggy said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Can't wait to see your next set of eagle photos!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It is sad to see these eagles earth bound,but at the same time great to see that someone cares enough to help them live.
Blessings,Ruth

jalynn01 said...

Very interesting post. I loved the stories of how each Eagle got to be there.

Carol said...

Great post, Marsha, you go such interesting places! the Grumpy Old Men is fun! So I could sit in Walter and Jack's lap :)

Love the eagle pics! So majestic.

Cynthia said...

Marsha, it's so heartbreaking reading each eagle's story, but also so wonderful that the bird's have received such wonderful care. ... Kind of bittersweet.

John enjoyed the movie Grumpy Old Men. Of course, he was much younger when it came out.... Now that he is one, I'm not sure what he would think. )

Wanda said...

What an interesting tour... I'm so glad you let us come along with you.

Wonderful Eagles ~~ so magnificent and good to read the stories.

LOL:Wanda

Tina said...

This was a fun post and I really enjoyed reading about the various eagles and their history. Can't wait to see what's next.

Kathleen said...

LOL, Cynthia that was funny!
Marsha, so gad you had such a good weekend...
Love the benches..
The stories remind me of the last carrier pigeons, George and Martha..

Anonymous said...

Love your getaway, Marsha! A few years ago we were with a group of old wooden boats (many of them contained old men but not so grumpy, LOL) from Dubuque up to Red Wing). We loved that trip and all the stops along the way.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Marsha,
Isn't that Eagle Center great? I enjoyed visiting there for the first time last year. It's very neat to be able to see the eagles up close.

La Table De Nana said...

I even like the Red Hat Society's Silo!
I just recently encountered a group of RHS in Venice Fla..and they were fabulous..

What a brave soul..to paimt her /his silo!

Beautiful barn and eagle shots M.