
It is Lincoln's birthday today and not until I read my friend,
Debbie's post, did I realize it is actually his 200th birthday. I remember as an elementary student that we celebrated both Abe & George's birthday seperate instead of combining them into President's Day. There were lots of crafts involving beards, white wigs and cherry trees. Though I don't have any of those from my childhood I am a "saver" and while cleaning out a closet last week, I found this bust of Abe that my daughter painted. I took it out and was going to surprise her with it on my blog today, of course this weekend she was home for the wedding and was standing at the kitchen sink getting a drink when she looks into the LR and laughs and says "where did you find that!" Kind of killed the blog surprise but I guess I got to see her reaction in person. I love the painted on birthmark on his nose, such attention to detail J!
A note to mom's that still have young children, if you are saving projects write the year on them somewhere because at my age, you'll never remember. In the same box was an Abe that my son had created but sadly that one was broken. It was a real lightbulb painted black with a cardboard base, a black paper top hat, a painted on face and wooly beard. So since I am an equal opportunity mom, I present a candy dish he made me.

This one has been out and displayed for 20 years or so. I dug through the candy for a message for N & J...love you and thank you for all those childhood homemade gifts!


It was so much fun reading through those hearts, the text has really changed through the years. I found some that described me and my blog...


We have an ill family member so I probably won't be back to wish you a Happy Valentine's day until late in the weekend. So to my blog readers...Happy Valentine's Day! "Thank You" for taking the time to visit my blog, I "smile" when you leave me a comment. Coming to visit may not always be what you expect, but you do see the "real me" - what I'm up to, my family and my friends, the nature and wildlife I love. The "garden" blog has really become the garden of life blog this last year and I thank you for continuing to follow it.

You may have noticed the group blog, I participated in was disbanded and is longer on my profile. The "darling bakers" will still bake & cook on as individuals, but will post on their own blogs. When they/we have an event, I'll show the food and dishes with links to the blogs participating. We don't have one scheduled until St. Pat's.

To my all girl friends that were the former darlings, I hope you smile, I'll miss the group but understand we need the time to be true to our individual blogs :-) Happy Valentine's Day!
for those that asked, the birds yesterday were a female downy woodpecker, white breasted nuthatch, some type of sparrow, chickadee, junco, another nuthatch and a starling. I had just put out a fresh batch of the homemade "zick dough" and went back to the house and sat in the recliner to relax with the camera. The first shots were so bad, I had to wash the window and soon they were all back. I can't believe how fast that stuff disappears. It took me a while to find lard in the store, but once I did and discovered how easy it is to buy and shape for the log feeders, I'll never buy premade suet cakes again.
16 comments:
HI Marsha... what a sweet post! Precious, in fact. You have such nice family memories. And more fantastic bird pictures. Happy Valentine's to you too, "girlfriend". I hope you have a good weekend. And I'll continue the good thoughts for the health issues in your family.
This is such a sweet post Marsha. Happy Valentine's Day to you too.
Take care of your family. Prayer offered.
Sorry about an illness in the family.I pray that all will go well.
Blessings, Ruth
Hi Marsha~ Thank you for your advice with my weight watcher challenge! My goodness, 11 pounds..... I have been on for 3 weeks and only lost 3 pounds..... Happy Valentine's Day, and I will keep your family member in my prayers! Hugs!
Carol
Marsha, Coming to your blog is always a treat. Even the simplest things like conversation hearts, you find a way to make them special, fun, and "heartfelt".
You are a sweetheart.
How fun for your children to see the things that you have saved. I'm NOT a saver, but when I see your posts of old family cards, mementos, etc, I definitely wish I had saved more.
Good reminder to date things.....
How great that you saved some of the precious art work from your kids! I just gave my youngest boy some of the clay projects he had made me to put in his own house, we had a good laugh looking at them..I think he was touched that I had kept them!
Love all the "heart" sayings..surprised at the wording on some of them..how cute!
Happy Valentines "girlfriend"....
That is so sweet! I am sure your dd LOVED that you saved her project!
And thanks for the message..
Happy ♥day to you...and best wishes for better health to your family!
And maybe we will sneak a Mardi Gras mini event in, something decadent and yummy before Lent??
What a wonderful post Marsha! I'm not surprised your a keeper! I admit to being one myself :-) My parents are too actually. My mom had some hideous plaster fruits (which each had faces) that I painted in 4th grade hanging up in her kitchen for about 20 years. I finally told her to take them down!!!!! I still have a box that I made in 5th grade to hold all of the valentines I received at school. Somewhere...
Probably at my moms! lol
I hope you are able to have some fun this weekend.
Marsha, I always learn something new from you. It's nice to see the new greetings on the hearts and of course they fit you well. I love Nature Lover, I'm Me :-)
I also like Kathleen's idea of a Mardi Gras celebration!
Sending healing thoughts to you and your loved ones. Have an enjoyable weekend :-)
You have me interested in the "zick dough". I had more time in the past then the present, so I used to travel with my binoculars searching for birds to add to my life list. I really miss that, but will get back into it someday.
Hugs my friend,
Debbie
Happy Valentine's Day to you too Marsha. Your blog is a joy, always. Prayers ascend for your family member. Be safe.
I have some of those school projects out all the time! My kids just laugh at me ~~ but I love the memories.
Just curious - what is "zick dough"?
I've made several batches of marshmallows! Thanks for the encouragement - the mint ones are pink and perfect in hot chocolate!
What a nice post and it brings back those nostalgic memories of my kids and grandkids and 'stuff' they made for me. I love your line up of candy hearts with the message! great thinking girl! Happy Valentine's day and hope your family health problems lessen and lift!
What a neat thing, finding the projects. My mom was a saver, too, and I had to hide my report cards from my kids. LOL! The old projects were fun.
Love the candy heart sentiments! Marsha you have a way with words and kind heart :) Wishing your family well! Sending good thoughts!
I read up and saw Kathleens comments about Mardi Gras..You know I am already in. I was already planning on making another King Cake this year and probably some gumbo.
What a Really SWEET post! Loved the Lincoln piece.
Happy Valentines Day, dear girlfriend...
LOL:Wanda
Post a Comment