Saturday, February 28, 2009

Farewell to February

Several of my online friends and I have all decided we have had enough of winter so we thought we would do a group "Farewell to February" with peeks into SPRING (even though for most of us they are last year's photos). Some of them may still be showing their "foodie friday" entries but their farewells will be up soon.
Jayne, A Grain of Salt
Susan, Savoring Time in the Kitchen
Kathleen, Cuisine Kathleen
Carol, There's Always Thyme
Barb, Foley's Follies
Debbie, Mountain Breaths
Suzy, A Kitchen Bouquet
Cynthia, Events Only

Here in my area of MN we got 8 inches of fresh snow on Thursday so February is leaving us in a blanket of white. As it was falling, I snapped a photo of the busy feeder "tree". Do you see the downy, junco, redpoll and nuthatch?Ruger licked the snow off his nose and was covered in a blanket of white by the time he got done with his patrol of the garden.
Friday was cold but bright and sunny. Johnny and a rabbit dined on corn and spilled sunflower seeds.
The only thing I will miss about winter is the daily visits from Johnny & Joseph and their friends. The early morning sunlight really highlighted all of Johnny's coloring. Look how his stomach feathers reflect blue.
Joseph also made his appearance at the corn buffet...
but he has some serious competetion from the sparrows for the cracked kernels.
But enough of February and winter, I am so looking forward to spring and the arrival of the wood ducks.
Yesterday, my sister in CA, upon hearing about our new snow sent my MN brothers and sisters a couple of photos showing the beautiful blooming trees in her backyard. She told us it was "window art" that we should tape to our windows for a view other than white...way to rub it in L :-)The photo of her magnolia tree above had me longing for the sight and scent of my crabapple tree...
and the colorful visitors that rest in it...
and in the wild plum blossoms.
I just long for the 20 days until spring officially begins to pass quickly though I know that here in my area of the country I won't see any type of blossoms until late April and I won't be able to smell the lilacs until May.
Until then I look forward to seeing spring arrive around the country through photos on the many blogs I follow. Yesterday I read of a first sighting of a robin in NE...head north little bird...head north!

18 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful.The spring flowers are so pretty.Hopefully the snow will disappear soon and new life can begin.
Blessings,Ruth

Kathleen said...

That was beautiful! LOL, your sister's comment...Not a bad idea!

Here's to Spring, a new beginning..

Foley said...

Marsha - truly exquisite! Your photos are so beautiful..but I could only find three of those birds in that one photo!! Where will Joseph & Johnny go in the Spring? Your sis is a real sweetheart! ;) At least she is enjoying the beauty of flowers..

sandy said...

Out here in So Cal we are having warm temps and budding blooms all over the place. I love it! But we do need more rain.

I just love that bird..Okay is it a peasant...I'm not great on birds...

I need to go back and read your other post to see if you named it.

sandy said...

I meant pheasant and yes I'm sure it must be.

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, I think I could endure winter a little better if I had the sights you have! All that great color in the birds around you. Good that you have it since your flower color arrives so late. But, wow, you have really pretty things to look forward to! Sweet of your sister to brighten your day!

troutbirder said...

Again the color of those pheasants. Ruger! Ruger? I can't believe my pheasant hunting buddy had a black lab named.... Ruger!

Mari at Once Upon a Plate said...

Beautiful Marsha, as always!

I'm sure longing to smell the lilacs this spring ~ yours are so pretty. :)

Suzy said...

Marsha I know it is still very much winter there but you have sooooo much to look forward to come spring and summer time. You have one of the best garden's around. I love all of the spring shots (and winter too!) but the wild plum one is outstanding!!! Great post :-)

Carol said...

LOL, your sister is very funny :)

A really magnificent post and an excellent goodbye to February, Marsha!

The lilac is probably the one thing I could definitely recognize, I have a huge one in the yard. With all that snow you get, I can understand how much you appreciate all your beautiful flowers and plantings, you have definitely made me appreciate them as well! We're all looking forward to spring right along with you, Marsha!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I know you've had a snowy, hard winter but from your photos it always looks so pretty. Will the pheasants stay around when the weather is warmer?

I love seeing the birds in winter, their colors just pop.

So in some ways, I'm sad to February go. But if your preview is any indication, I sure spring will be even more lovely in your part of MN.

Tina said...

Wow what a nice series of pictures..love the pheasant and would absolutely love to see a wood duck..how colorful!! I think we are going to get the snow that just left you...expecting 2-6 in the next few days:( ....but I know Spring is not far away!! Great post!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I've been enjoying your your beautiful winter pictures so much that I almost hate to see them go. We have junco and nuthatch, I love watching them.

I've been meaning to tell you that our satellite dish gazebo at our cottage seems to be holding the weight of the snow very well. Joe shoveled the snow off once, just because :-)

I loved your Farewell to February post!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Beautiful photos, Marsha! I can't wait to see those gorgeous yellow feathers again on the Goldfinches. That last GF photo is fabulous!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I like all the pics, event the snow ones. Were those my little robins you were calling to? LOL

We had several inches of snow fall last night, too. I hope those robins found a good place to stay.

Unknown said...

It is the big count down! We are having a clod snap tonight and tomorrow. Love your snow photos and your sisters blossoms are beautiful.

Jayne said...

We have daffodils in bloom, and cherry trees are budding as well. Robins are here now too. Won't be long. The grass is growing again too. Thanks for the peeks of spring Marsha. :c)

Anonymous said...

re those pheasants?They are beautiful.How lucky to have so much beauty in your own bavk yard...ann