I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day. This hummingbird was nice enough to pose several times last September on the heart shaped chimes so I just had to share him as my belated Valentine greeting.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments on my last post. B is doing much better and is home from the hospital and Jeff & I managed to get away for a fun weekend. More on that in following posts. I wanted to share the Zick Dough recipe that Debbie & Linda asked about. I first heard about it on a post from
Jayne at Journey Through Grace, but have since seen it on many nature blogs. I gather it is called Zick Dough because it orginated from
Julie Zickfoose's blog.

The recipe is simple and can be doubled/tripled, etc. 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup lard, 2 cups quick oats, 2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 cup flour. Melt the peanut butter & lard together and then stir in the remaining ingredients. The hardest part of making this was finding lard in the grocery store :-) I roll some into logs for my log type feeders and the rest I leave in larger pieces which I then crumble and serve in tray feeders.

These are my log feeders.

I mentioned before that I take most of my shots through the window in the winter. Notice how most of the photos look like they are on the same branch? It's confession time..

I zip tie a dead branch on my wrought iron feeder pole about 7 feet from the window. As long as it is taller than the pole, the birds will always land on the branch first allowing me to capture more natural looking shots. Keep the windows clean, turn off the flash on the camera, keep the camera handy and while you're blogging or watching tv you can shoot away at whatever comes in to feed. I've done this for two years now after a wildlife photographer I met on another forum told me her secret.

Once winter is over I take this setup down and enjoy the beauty of the garden instead. I hope you still enjoy my photos knowing how easy it is for me to get them ;-)
13 comments:
Thanks for the recipe.the branch idea is great.
Have a great week.
Blessings,Ruth
Sneaky Marsha!!!! Here all the time I pictured you with your nose to the window all day looking for the birds to come!! lol
LOL, Barb!
Marsha,I love seeing your photo's no matter what! Glad you're back!
I am fascinated with your photo set up! I think it's ingenious. You get wonderful shots. I don't think this is any different than the little light box I've set up. You have to do what you have to do to get a descent pic given the conditions. I have no light! You have extremely cold conditions!
Love the hummie Valentine :-)
Where is my brain ~~~~ I thought it was cookie dough.... ((smile))
Marsha ~~ Thanks so much for your wonderful comment on my blog. You touched my heart with your words of encouragement!
Love and Hugs
Wanda
I love that set up Marsha!! Brilliant! Hmmmm... now you've got me thinking too. I love the more natural shots you get on the branches, not to mention it makes for so many more perching spots.
HI Marsha... the other Jayne here! LOL. Well, it's no wonder the birds flock to you... you take such good care of them and feed them so well! That's the secret to getting all those great shots. Glad you had a fun weekend. Looking forward to hearing about it. So good that SIL is home...still sending good wishes her way.
Marsha ... I really like the log feeders ... the birch one is beautiful.
So glad your SIL is doing better and that you were able to also relax and get away.
I, too, assumed the Zick dough was for humans. :)
Your branch intertwined with the feeders is ingenious. No matter how you get the pictures, I LOVE them.
Aren't dead branches the best thing? I have a couple nice big ones attached to my deck railing and feeders too and it really makes a difference in allowing the birds to perch and be photographed. Good job Marsha!
Love the hummer on the heart shaped chimes. I too drag branches around and prop them up close to my windows!!! But...I have this problem - my husband always wants to drag them away and get rid of them cause he thinks they are an eyesore...which they are but the birds love it!! Great minds think alike!! Go Marsha.
Thanks for that recipe...I didn't have it.
LOL, I too thought it was cookie dough!
Glad you had a fun weekend!
I don't have a wrought iron feeder..just one hanging fro a tree..our squirrels are ferocious here..
This is a great idea..it looks more like a limb :) I see one on our golf course laying down..I should save it..and look into this.. Nothing is eye level here though:( Our home is raised..
Oy..decisions decisions!
Thanks for the tips Marsha.
Love the recipe and pics too~
thanks for the info...gonna try it...
:)
Post a Comment