
Saturday morning the feeders were very active with hungry birds who had to work a lttle harder to find the seeds following Friday's snow. The redpoll needed to dig for the sunflower kernels and the chickadee patiently waited his turn.

The junco got a huge mouthfull of snow with each kernel he found in the tray feeder...

while a bluejay waited his turn. I have noticed bluejays, goldfinches, juncos and chickadees lift up one foot at a time when perching on cold metal. They must feel the cold in their feet which is another argument for wood or plastic feeders in the winter months. I do have metal ones out but I always notice they are the last to be emptied.

Finding the peanuts under the snow took a little more effort and this jay dropped his before getting a better grip on it.

These two looked like identical twins as they waited their turn at the peanut feeder...

until one of them spotted me at the window.

He was caught off balance by a wind gust and I was thrilled to capture it before he uprighted himself.

This was the next shot, he was upright and acting like nothing happened...too cool!

Soon the peanuts were getting harder to find just by pecking around in the snow so here is the windup...

that sent the snow flying!

A sad face after no more peanuts were to be found.

Even Johnny had to send snow flying as he dug for corn.

More photos of Joseph and Johnny in the next post.
19 comments:
Marsha, these shots just blew me away! Wow! You are so good at capturing the birds. The pics are brilliant!
Oh my goodness, just when I think you cannot take a better picture, I show up, and there it is...something so magnificent!!
Love all of them, but that pheasant just took my breath away!
Perfection -
Wanda
MArsha, these are all PERFECT!!
I'd have my nose pressed to the window glass all the time.
Thud! Marsha, all photos are stunning, but that pheasant just took my breath away. Beautiful photos as always.
Wonderful pics! Amazing how you can capture their moves!
Beautiful pictures.The Blue Jays look like they are posing for the artist,maybe even someone who could do a sculpture.
Blessings,Ruth
I love all the pix, but the bluejays are really so pretty in the snow posing on the snag. That little chickadee is just darling too and the Redpoll. Great post. Can't wait to see Joseph and Johnny next time.
You amaze me with your photography! Everything looks just fantastic, especially how you capture all their moves! I've missed pictures of Joseph..anxious for your next post!
Marsha, I love your redpoll picture. ... I know I'll never see one around here, so your fabulous pictures of them always bring a smile to my face.
I've never seen a pheasant in person, so I'm always thrilled when you post photos of Joseph and Johnny.
The off-balance bluejay picture is perfect.
I love them all.... I'm so glad you share your bird photos with us.
These are just fabulous shots!!! I wondered what a red poll looked like. I don't think we have them down here. And the blue jay acting so cool -- hilarious!
How funny to see them all digging in to find some seed! I love the jays! What great photos Marsha. :c)
We enjoy watching the birds as well --
great photos
I agree with the others here, these are more than fantastic bird photos! Although the birdies may have had to work a little harder for the seed they seem very healthy!!
What fabulous pictures you got Marsha! Those bluejays are a riot, aren't they?
wat pretty pics Martha..:)
You outdid yourself with the details!
You're a fabulous birder:)
Wow, I need to come here more often, you have gorgeous bird photos.
I have been reading old posts.YOur comment thingy disappears.Won't come out at all or the typing disappears.It REALLY acts weird.I haven't a clue what you can do about it...Ann
Post a Comment