Water sustains all.
(Thales of Miletus, 600 B.C.)
In answer to the questions on my winter water setup I took a few shots this morning. I use a heated dog water dish that I bought at a farm supply store but I think most discount stores have them in their pet departments too. They are much cheaper than heated bird baths, and I like them because they are deeper and I don't have to brave the cold to fill it as often. Because it is a little deeper I do put a rock in the dish that barely breaks the water surface when filled. The smaller birds like the chickadees stand on the rock to get their drink and the larger ones stand around the rim. Because I don't want to look at a bright blue dish all winter I set a couple of old wreaths around it to give it a more natural look.

The birds are not the only ones that use it.

Our yard is filled with pine siskins these days. Today, I noticed all the sunflower & thistle seed feeders were filled with them. This little guy staked out his own feeding dish and was quite agressive when another would attempt to share his sunflower kernels.

They are also more agressive on the thistle sacks scaring off the goldies but this one stood his territory and stayed.

Have a wonderful Monday!
13 comments:
You have a lot of birds still feeding at your place. I love the heated dog dish idea. There are some wonderful, creative things on these gardening blogs.
Marsha, what a wonderful friend you are to the birds and squirrels around you. Great idea about the heated dog dish. I love this series of photos. They definitely tell a lovely story.
Love this group of photo's, Marsha! Cool idea with the heated dish. and it looks great the way you fixed it up! Lucky birds to have you in the winter :)
Good for you! But shhh about the price of heated birdbaths - I need sales! (Actually I have heated dog bowls in my online store.)
how sweet you care for them over the harsh months too. i love you hiding it in a wreath too~
find a homegoods and get those cardinal dishes!
Wow Marsha, I love the idea of the dog bowl! Hmmmm..... now my brain is thinking....
Love your Siskins too. My flock has moved on. :c(
What a great idea with the dog dish! Well done! Clever, clever, clever!
Heated birdbaths are one of the best things you can do for your birds in the winter. I plugged in my second basin over the weekend and it's fun to see all the different birds who stop by for a drink.
I'm going to look for one of those heated dishes, Marsha. Thanks for the great idea! You take such good care of all your feathered and furry friends. Great pics!
Indeed a great idea for heating water. I will be checking out our local farm store for one.
I'm gonna get a heated dog dish...what a super idea. Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!
love birds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!super pics......
It is interesting to see the birds in your yard.Gotta love the Pine Siskins,we also have lots of them.
Blessings,Ruth
Post a Comment