The wind that makes music in November corn is in a hurry. The stalks hum,
the loose husks whisk skyward in half-playing swirls, and the wind hurries on....A tree tries to argue, bare limbs waving, but there is no detaining the wind." (Aldo Leopold)
Tonight, I'm listening to the November winds bring in another cold front following three nice days in a row. I had big plans to do a thorough cleaning of the house today but around noon I caught a flash of red out the window. I looked and saw two of these birds and ran to grab the camera. Of course the focus was on auto and I only fired off one shot before they flew off leaving me a shot of a fake bird in focus and this beauty in fuzz! Between my memory and this out of focus shot I think I have another lifer...
a white winged crossbill!

These two were a much brighter red color than the
red crossbills I saw on Halloween. I was so excited I spent the rest of the afternoon looking out the window every few minutes but I guess one drink was all they needed today. I sure hope to spot these again and get good photos.
7 comments:
I like that shot. The fake bird is cute. I do hope they come back for you.
Lucky you! I've seen a female White-winged Crossbill but not a male. He's gorgeous. Comgrats on the lifer!!
Definitely a white-winged crossbill (when I clicked on the picture to enlarge I could faintly see the crossed bill)!
Wow, Marsha, that's so cool for you. I'm glad you were in the right place at the right time to get a picture.
We've all been there and couldn't get the picture. darn! The shot you did get gives us an idea of what you missed. Hopefully they will be back and give you time to focus on them! Interesting bird...that I have never seen. Great effort!
Oh wow! Look at him! Lucky, lucky you!!!!
I think it's a lucky thing, I've never seen one...Hope he comes back!
Congratulations, Marsha! Even if a little blurry, it's an exciting capture.
Post a Comment