Thursday, November 13, 2008

Winter garden...

"Most people, early in November, take last looks at their gardens, and are then prepared to ignore them until the spring. I am quite sure that a garden doesn't like to be ignored like this. It doesn't like to be covered in dust sheets, as though it were an old room which you had shut up during the winter. Especially since a garden knows how gay and delightful it can be, even in the very frozen heart of the winter, if you only give it a chance."
(Beverley Nichols)

With two days of 40 degree temps, I got most of my "winter garden" chores done. All but a few small fish are spending their time swimming circles in the tank in the garage. Again this year, it looks like I lost quite a few to racoons, snakes and/or herons. Thankfully they reproduce enough that I caught lots of little ones.

The front planters and one in the back have their "winter garden" look. In this climate you have to put any Christmas decorations that require staking in the ground up before the ground freezes so I also set up candy cane lane and the bird's christmas tree. One more nice day and I'll have the rest done.
I couldn't bear to shut down the rock fountain yet, so I'll leave it running until the water starts to freeze near the pump box. After I came in, I watched this bluejay take a cold bath.






When he was finished, he gave me a good scolding for watching!
I also spotted this fox sparrow searching out a drink on the side of the pond.

10 comments:

BJ said...

Looks like you have been very busy Marsha. I love the picture of the koi.....they look huge in the pic. Sorry you lost so many but the other critters have to eat too! The bluejay bathing pic turned out so well. Nice & clear. I love the other little bird, the fox sparrow. Looks like red on it. Pretty little thing.

Still can't believe that this time of the year has come for you. It just seems like yesterday that you posted about what you do with the fish.

Nice post Marsha!

Unknown said...

Those poor fish swimming in circles, like they do anything else right? The front of your home looks great. Mine, potting soil, shoes, recycle bins...sad.
That bluejay is adorable.

troutbirder said...

Talk about a cold shower. Mr Bluejay definitely seemed to be enjoying it though. Nice sequence!

Kathleen said...

What a good place to take a bath! Ahhhh...it feels soooo good!

Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Love the bird pics, Marsha!

LOL, at your scolding :)

Jayne said...

Love the squawking blue jay! They are a hoot. :c)

Peggy said...

Your winter garden looks great! The blue jay taking a bath was adorable! I LOVE your rock fountain and the activity it gets! I feel for the fishies though...poor things, at least they aren't frozen!

RuthieJ said...

You sure have a pretty house! I loved those bluejay pictures too--I bet you had to laugh as he was "scolding" you. :-D

jalynn01 said...

Oh My how much work there is to a garden and a pond. I know it's worth it, but it just seems overwhelming to me!! Maybe it's my age haha.. I loved the bluejay taking a bath, his look of attitude. I bet the birds will miss your 'rock' when you shut down the water. You are ahead getting your Christmas stuff in the ground, too. Something I must think about here.

Leedra said...

The bluejay put on a good show. He shows up so well against the rock.