5 months ago
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Utah Rocks...Hwy 12
Our roadtrip continues along Utah's scenic Hwy 12 byway.
Sometimes my kid's laugh at me but if I have the time, I always check out those brown "historical marker" signs you see along the roads. This one was worth the stop, in the above photo see that half dome cutout high up the hill? With a switch to the zoom lens, it is an ancient Native American granary...where they stored their food supplies.
Photo 7 from Scenes from the Road is on our way to Kodachrome Basin State Park. Most of Utah, is open range and there were cattle along the roadsides in many areas. Kodachrome SP is known for it's vermillion colored rocks as well as many colors of layered rocks.
We camped for the night in those cedars at the base of the rock formations.
The campfire king :-)
We were thoroughly entertained that evening by this scrub jay begging for food. He hopped along our table & feet for several hours.
The next morning as we were back on the road, we saw a flock of turkeys enjoying a pasture with the horses.
It was my turn to drive that morning and as luck would have it I got the pleasure of driving the "hogsback", a section of the road that twists and turns and where cliffs drop steeply into narrow canyons on both sides of the highway.
The view from the hogsback...the sign above advised me to "take a deep breath" :-)
Another view of the canyons, this one with a home at the bottom. J & I often joked about who had to drive the most adventurous roads on this trip, but I got the hogsback as well as the only 10% grade down a mountain, I would often tease that his were only a measly 9% :-)
Next we stopped at the Anasazi State Park to view ruins from 1050 to 1200 AD.

Then we exited Boulder Mtn enjoying the beautiful golden aspens with views of the Henry Mtns in the background.
This section of road still had remanants of the snowfall they experienced the day we were in the rain at Zion.
Lots more of the trip to show so I hope I am not boring you to death with my travelouge! I feel kind of like the hostess that invites you over and then forces you to sit in my living room while I show the slides of my trip...if you feel that way you might want not want to visit me for a few days (I'll go back to the garden next week). I loved Utah and maybe these photos will convince you to visit someday. If anything exciting does happen in the garden, I'll interrupt this programming to show you :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Not boring at all, Marsha! Great pictures! I am an armchair traveler since I got spooked on a trip to the Grand Canyon! The scenic overlooks made me queasy. So I love looking at your pics from a safe distance :)
I'm loving the trip! It's been quite awhile since I've wander red rock country. Your gorgeous photos make me want to hop in the car right now.
Not boring at all! To see these pictures is just the best! Since I will probably never get to this area.....I am in awe of how beautiful the area is. Thanks for sharing Marsha.
Marsha, I've been showing Art your Utah travel pictures and we've decided tonight that we're going to put a trip to Utah on our life to see list.
Please share more!
I've so enjoyed seeing what you saw as we just don't get to travel that often. Thanks for taking us along Marsha. :c)
I'm not bored either--just wishing and hoping that I get a chance to visit these grand sights in Utah someday too.
I've thoroughly enjoyed your memories! Keep them coming! Loved the scrub jay pic!
Marsha - I am truely enjoying your pics from your trip. Makes me want to hop in the Tahoe & see the the beauty of the open road...now, if I could convince Brad to take some time off! - Lisa
Post a Comment