Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat...

Happy Halloween! It's definitely a trick or treat day for me...first I had the wonderful "treat" of having Heidi, Benjamin & Alexis stop over for treats!

They were one groovy looking bunch...a couple hippies and a little princess. The "trick" here was I used my mini camera and the shots came out with terrible red eye so if their eyes look funny, it is because I tried to fix them without much success. The little princess came in carrying a fake rat (which she calls a mouse) and her mom managed to get her to set it down for one picture telling her princesses don't have a mouse...to which Alexis replied "I'm a princess like Cinderella and in the movie there are lots of mouses". Smart girl!

My other "treat" of the day also came with bad camera "tricking". I was so excited to see these first ever visitors to my garden, I was shooting them through the dirty window and they came out blurred. A "lifer" in the garden, a male and female red crossbill.
I had to look them up in the bird book and according to what I read, they live in conifered forests as the seeds from cones are the only thing they eat. Since I live in the middle of farmland with just a few evergreens, I'd say they were just stopping by for a drink.
So even though my camera was playing "tricks" on me today, I sure was happy with these TREATS!

PS: I'm glad I'm not Benjamin & Alexis's grandma as she is going to be surprised tonight to find several of those "mice" hidden in her house! Benjamin said she's always playing tricks on us so we are getting her back :-)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great costumes!! You did have some treats.

Jayne said...

How cute! Oh, lucky you! A male AND female Crossbill! I've never seen one. :c)

The Birdlady said...

How exciting! I've never seen one.

Anonymous said...

Too funny about the mouse and the grandma, LOL! Cute trick or treaters, Marsha :)

BJ said...

Love the shot of Heidi, Ben & Alexis! Their costumes are the best! And I love what Ben said about grandma playing tricks on them and them getting her back!

Don't know anything about crossbills.....but they are beautiful birds. How nice that they came to you for a drink at your fancy water area.

jalynn01 said...

I hate when the window does that! I always try to open it and sometimes it scares the birds away. Glad you got what you did. I've never seen a crossbill.

RuthieJ said...

Wow, Marsha, those crossbills! I would be so excited about that! Did you check the MOU website to see if there were any other recorded sightings for your county?