Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Blue Jay...

The Blue Jay is a noisy bird
But a very handsome sight
He wears a sky-blue jacket
Striped and patched with
Grey, black and white.
He's often called a rascal
By all the other birds;
For he likes to tease and scare and chase
And always loves to be heard.
He lives here in the summer time
And in the winter too.
So don't forget to leave a treat,
And he'll be sure to knock,
"Thank You!"
(author unknown)

I love the blue jays and agree they are a handsome sight...
that likes to be HEARD!
These guys love shelled peanuts and I've learned to only give them some when we can enjoy watching them come and get them.
They arrive and carry them away one by one until a cool whip bowl full is gone (about 20 minutes).
After finishing them off they'll come and sit on the branch, waiting to see if I bring out more. This one took the time to fluff up and preen for awhile.

When I downloaded the photos, I noticed this guy looked like he had a stick stuck on his beak...
a shot showing the opposite side of his face shows it is stuck in his nostril...
YIKES!
I sure hope is works itself out soon...I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I spot it again. Another bluejay is looking great at the rock with the red leaves of my new serviceberry tree. I am so excited to add some red foilage to my landscape and the serviceberry tree was a surprise because my serviceberry shrub turns a deep yellow/orange color.
Have a wonderful weekend!

13 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Yep - they are very handsome, and VERY noisy. Great shots!

Wanda said...

I have been seeing a couple of blue jays in my yard since I started putting out peanuts for the squirrels.

Love your pictures, and I sure hope that little twig works itself out...

You are such a master with the camera.

Jayne said...

What beautiful shots Marsha! I do hope too that the "stick" comes out on its own. Ouch!

BJ said...

Wow! Your pictures are wonderful! I agree....enlarged they are even more beautiful if possible.

I too, love those bluejays! When I had my house, I would enjoy them so much. They are stinkers though. They try to chase every other bird from the area.

Thanks for posting these great shots! And I hope that your weekend has been a wonderful one too. I'm trying to play catch-up with my blog friends.

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your pictures very much, Marsha!

RuthieJ said...

Ouch--that stick!!
Those are beautiful pictures Marsha. Bluejay is one of my favorite birds too. But I make them work for their peanuts in the shell. It's fun to watch them hold the peanut in their toes and peck it open.

Jen said...

Great shots of the blue jay!
They have been pigging out on the acorns in our yard this year and yes making a lot of noise.

Tina said...

Yes, I agree blue jays are noise makers but one couldn't ask for a more stunning array of blues, white and black repeating patterns! I love look'en at all those bright blues,especially in the direct sunlight... even if I have to plug my ears! :)
Very nice photos! Enjoyed your post!

Anonymous said...

We used to have them here years ago and then they disappeared. Just recently, we've heard their distinctive call again. We'd put peanuts on the front porch and wait for them to appear ;)

Great shots, Marsha!

Peggy said...

Your Bluejays are beautiful! Really nice captures! Poor stick nostril guy!

jalynn01 said...

Nice shots! I always hear these big blue birds before I see them. They are a noisy bunch!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Those are wonderful photos of one of my favorites. I've learned not to put out too many peanuts too. They just carry them off like squirrels and keep coming back;)
Marnie

Leedra said...

Lovely photographs, posing for you so many different ways.