Monday, August 04, 2008

What a week...

It has been quite a week since I last posted. Jeff & I celebrated our anniversary with a wonderful dinner out in this screen porch at the Terrace Store. It is one of our favorite destinations in the summer.
Since we were celebrating 32 years, we ended our wonderful meal with a dessert for two (Milky Way Mousse Cake).
On Thursday morning we were awakened to the sound of hail hitting the house in the darkness. It soon ended and we got a call that round two was heading our way and it was severe. By 7 am our area had a severe thunderstorm with 80 mph winds and many trees went down. We were lucky in that our property only sustained tree & garden damage not our lively hood as many farmers sustained crop damage. After a trip into town to check our son's house it was totally shocking to see the amount of trees down and blocking most of the streets, as well as an elevator bin & catwalk down and blocking a major highway. Jeff spent the majority of the day with his employees using heavy equipment to drag trees off the streets and to the brush site while I cleared the garden of branches and surveyed the damage. When he got home we set to work on our yard, we hauled loads and loads of branches off the lawns and the whole place is a mass of shredded leaves. Friday morning we headed off to Duluth for the weekend and came back to pick up more branches yesterday. There is major cleanup of fallen trees to be done in the grove but that can wait until time permits. The power surges before the electricity went out caused my DSL modem to go out and I didn't get a new one installed until this afternoon. How attached we get to our modern conveniences was very noticeable this morning when I didn't get to catch up reading my favorite blogs :-)
The climbing rose sustained a lot of damage and we will be pulling the rest of it out after the little mourning dove fledges. He is fully feathered and growing by leaps and bounds.
More on our weekend up north tomorrow...

5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

First off, happy anniversary to you and hubby. Thirtytwo years is honorable these days. The cake looks devine!

Sorry about the damage, but at least your home and business weren't damaged. My heart goes out to the folks who lost important crops this late in the summer.

How were the tall ships? I worked all last weekend but my family really wanted to see them.

Wanda said...

Well a Big Congratulations on your 32 years. That's great.

The pictures are wonderful, but I have to say the cake.... The last week I have been doing a Fat Food Flush ~~ which means no carbs, so I have not had bread, pasta or sweets for a week...so needless to say, I was licking the screen....!!!

Lots of Love
Wanda

Jayne said...

Wow, 32 years! Congratulations to you both Marsha! Yummy looking cake.

So glad the storm damage was not worse than it was. Scary stuff.

The Birdlady said...

That was some storm! So happy that your damage ws not worse, and that the little bird madeit through! Happy 33rd year!

BJ said...

Wow! That was really some storm. It sounds like you have much work to do in your garden. The picture of the dove is adorable.

Happy Anniversary! I'm so happy that you could celebrate 32 years with your love. Memories are so wonderful, aren't they?

Sounds like you had a nice dinner and the dessert.....yummy!