Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Springtime Fairy...

She was wafting pretty robins
And provoking their sweet song;
Though the air was still quite chilly,
She assured me not for long.

She bid all the clouds be fluffy,
And she painted skies so blue;
I just saw the springtime fairy,
I have seen her, haven't you?
(Georgia Adams)
I saw my first robin last Thursday before we left for vacation but it has taken me till this morning to capture one on camera. Other bird signs of spring have been the red wing blackbirds, a lone mourning dove, a few house finches and a huge flock of grackels. But, for me the "true" sign of spring is not the robin's arrival but the juncos leaving and there are still many here so I am afraid we are in for a few more bursts of winter before we can welcome springlike weather for good. Though I am not anxious for them to leave (they are one of my favorites), I am ready for the beautiful birds of spring/summer, warmer temps, green grass, flowers and open windows!

4 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Cute shots of the Robin, Marsha!
The Juncos are still plentiful here, everywhere. I even saw a few female Redpolls this morning!
I was shocked, I thought they had a gone north. Still waiting for a black bear to stroll through. Then I will know it's spring!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I heard my first of the spring robin evening song last week. It sure brought a smile to my face.

BJ said...

It is exciting to see the "first robin of the season". And to hear the birds singing outside your window. I need to see more Spring flowers in bloom to know that Spring has really arrived. Still cool here. But on Friday, three hours away from here, it was around 80!

Jayne said...

BEautiful Robin! Come on spring!