When I hear the caw, caw, caw of the crows circling the yard, I usually know there is a hawk nearby. I don't know why the crows love to chase the hawks but after hearing the loud raucous, I glanced outside and saw 4 crows chase this hawk and he landed in the middle of the grove. These are not great photos and I hestitated to post them but they tell a great story so I labeled them. 
After the first hawk landed, there was still lots of cawing going on so I looked above my viewfinder and lo and behold they were chasing a second hawk in and guess where he landed? If it is what it looks like...isn't it a little early for mating season already?
Next, one hawk took off followed by the crows and they chased him over the house. By the time I went to the front windows, he was flying south off of our property but soon the crows came flying back for the second one. I managed to capture some mid-air sparring between a crow and the second hawk before he took off and flew to the west of the house.
First I spotted the hawk high up in a cottonwood tree but what happened next was pretty neat. The crow landed on the hawk's back and pecked at him until he flew off our property as well. Looks like the crows are watching out for all my little songbirds!
7 comments:
OH MY GOSH, MARSHA!! Your shots are fabulous!! And you talk about mine, WOW! I have never seen anything like that. I can't believe the hawk sat still for the crow to land on him.
I have been hearing the crows over the past couple of days, too and look and sure enough they are chasing a hawk. Funny!
The closest thing I have ever seen to that are the Red-Winged Blackbirds landing on the backs of the deer.
You amaze me, girl!! Great Job! That's one post for the books!
Great shots! I would have never thought that a crow could land on a hawks back and the hawk just sits there! OMG! Amazing.
The sky is so blue in the shots. You really did a fantastic job.
Congrats Marsha! Those pix are terrific.
What a great series of shots you got. Love how you displayed them.
We had a big hawk come to our back yard and eyed our little dog Molly ~~ I was afraid that Hawk was looking for lunch ~~ So me and Molly stayed inside...no pictures.
Wow Marsha! Those are SOME shots!! I've seen the crows chase a hawk, but never land to peck. Fascinating!
Love the shots and story. You have to be quick on the draw or should I saw shutter to get that many action shots. I can just see you running from window to window. Enjoyed it much!!
Hi Marsha,
Those are pretty neat pictures... you were fortunate to witness the crow/hawk interactions.
This late winter/early spring time is the mating season for crows and hawks and some of them may even be sitting on eggs already.
Post a Comment