Sunday, February 10, 2008

This is my Father's World...

We woke up this bright and sunny Sunday morning to -16.6 degrees (gotta love those digital thermometers so we can credit every last 10th of this coldness)! First thing I do every morning is look out the window to the backyard...today, a rabbit was enjoying the corn buffet...
a bluejay was all puffed up against the cold...
and the redpolls were once again at the feeder. I took this shot for those that commented on the last post (re: looking like sparrows)...if you see them look for the bright red patch on their heads and the males have beautiful pink chests.



Soon, it was time to head to church...
and lo and behold we turned the corner and faced an empty street. It was still 14 degrees below zero at 10 am so the services were canceled. Jeff suggested since the car was already warmed up and it was a beautiful sunny day that we go for a drive (remember those good old fashioned Sunday drives of our youth?)
There was silent beauty in lonely scenery but we had expected to see lots of wildlife. I guess at these cold temps most everything must have been staying warm in protected hiding places...we did manage to spot a doe & fawn hiding in the woods and a beautiful hawk.

This is my Father's world;
The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world;
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.
(Maltbie D. Babcock)

God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone,
But on trees, and flowers, and clouds, and stars.
(Martin Luther)

4 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Love that hawk, they are one of my favorites. Thanks for pointing out the specs on the Redpoll. I will keep my eyes open.

BJ said...

Really nice shots Marsha. Love them all.

WOW - it is really cold there. I complain about the 30's. That is suppost to be the high tomorrow.

Jayne said...

Sounds like to me you all "did church" quite well with your drive and the bounties of nature. :c)

Wanda said...

I love your Father's World...He's my Father too. The poetry was wonderful too.
How I love this post. :)