Saturday, February 02, 2008

The second of February...


There's only one day the whole long year,
That I hope the sun won't appear.
The second of February, you all know,
The groundhog goes searching for his shadow.
If he should find it, the story is told,
We'll have six more weeks of winter's cold.
But if it is cloudy, his shadow's not there,
There'll soon be warm weather and days will be fair.
So please, Mr. Sun, for just this one day.
Find a big dark cloud - and stay away!
(author unknown)


Cloudy and frosty in Marsha's garden...does that mean spring is near? I decided to go out and look for hints of spring...

First, I found one of last year's blossoms covered in frost...

and then a tiny spot of color on the berry of a wild asparagus plant...













the grove was a frost covered wonderland...
Where's Ruger?

No signs of spring here...there was frost on an angel's nose....














and the branches around this nest...

but then...there it was... a sign of SPRING...frost on the buds of the lilac bush...yes, only 6 more weeks till spring!

5 comments:

BJ said...

Love the poem.....and I do hope that Spring is just around the corner. Looks so cold and frosty in your backyard Marsha. Love how you illustrated the photo's. Very nice.

Jayne said...

No shadows seen here in the South. It's an early spring for us, so says General Beauregard Lee!

Anonymous said...

Love how your reflected on Groundhogs day! Krista's birthday was also today so we picked on her about another 6 weeks of winter as well.

Wanda said...

What a beautiful post...but best of all is frost on the angel's nose...loved it.

RuthieJ said...

Wow, those little green buds look wonderful! I keep telling myself that in 6 weeks or less, I may be hearing bluebirds singing again too.
That was a nice post, Marsha.