And gold and gear at his command;
And rich estates, if he but look,
Are held by him who hath a book.
Who hath a book has but to read
And he may be a king indeed;
His Kingdom is his inglenook;
All this is his who hath a book.
(Wilbur Nesbit)
I love to read but am too cheap to buy new books. I read many from the public library and the rest from thrift stores (and I donate them back when I am done). Today, I was so easily entertained by some of the titles at Goodwill. Life Lessons Learned While Shopping & Is there Life after Housework? I don't know what these books are about but the titles caught my eye...after all I love to shop and hate housework. Next, was When a Nickel was Worth a Nickel...excuse me...I think it is still worth a nickel otherwise we would call it a penny. I am sure it probably is a great book the title just caught my eye. In the era of reality tv and the popular show "Are you Smarter than A Fifth Grader" you can even find a book What your 5th Grader Needs to Know. But my personal favorite of the day...and the reason I pulled the camera out of my purse was this last one....the juicy tomatoes guide to Ripe Living after 50 complete with several pages still bookmarked with post-its by the previous owner. I just found the title to be outright funny and should have taken the time to browse the content or even purchase it but my life seems exciting enough and the danger of ripe living is things sometimes become overripe :-) So none of these books made it into my cart but I have a few good mysteries, a book of poetry and a Nicholas Sparks one to keep me occupied for awhile.
It snowed yesterday and wind whipped it into small drifts around the yard. It didn't stop the little birds from coming to the feeders but the pheasants really had to scratch to find the corn buffet.
1 comment:
Nice pictures of the books ~~ Some cute titles.
I didn't realize how many books I had until I started packing them.!!
I also love yard sales and thrift shops for books!!
Post a Comment