Monday, October 15, 2007

reflection in yellow....

“A tiny wren was among the Chrysanthemums this morning, noiselessly flitting in and out, like a little shade; evidently in a state of the highest enjoyment. No doubt I and the bird both took our pleasure with them—in different ways!”
(Eleanor Vere Boyle)


I received a division of these yellow mums from my friend, Leone, several years ago and they are the hardiest mums, ever! Nursery specimens are lucky to survive a MN winter but these just keep growing and growing. I love their bright color and the way they lean over and reflect in the pond. The "tiny wrens" have all headed south but a tiny little red breasted nuthatch was happy to help me illustrate the above quote (of course, I cheated by scattering some seed to attract him) :-)
Dr. Ruppel is still giving me a few beautiful blooms.
I wanted to save some sunflower heads for winter feeding and had them drying on the patio table. I guess the birds had other plans and have cleaned them up in 3 days. Though I am not a fan of the house sparrow, this Harris sparrow sure is a beauty!

2 comments:

BJ said...

These pictures are wonderful! Especially the top one of the mums and the reflection in the pond. I love this time of the year! The birds are so cute, aren't they? Flitting around.......having such fun. Thanks for posting these pics. And the ones below. Just beautiful!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Oh, I just love that Harris Sparrow. Wish I jad some of those in my neck of the woods! It's just wonderful to be able to share from one part of the country to another. Your photos and stories are great!