Friday, October 19, 2007

leaves in the garden...




Leaves in the autumn
came tumbling down,
Scarlet and yellow,
russet and brown,
Leaves in the garden
were swept in a heap,
Trees were undressing
ready for sleep.
(author unknown)




After what seems like 2 straight weeks of rain we have had brief moments of sun today and so I took the opportunity to take some shots of my October 19th garden. First thing that caught my eye was that the solar lantern looked awesome reflecting in the pond. The giant cottonwoods in the first photo are raining down leaves on this windy day so there are leaves everywhere!

It amazes me to still see blossoms this late in the season. Usually by the time the tamarac (the yellow evergreen looking tree in the lower right of the first shot) starts to change colors the garden around it is bare. This year it is surrounded by bright pink/purple petunias and the dark red of the autumn joy sedum.




Pardon the mess in this photo but in the six years I have had this garden, I don't think the impatiens have ever survived to see October before so I just had to show you - wet piles of leaves and all!

3 comments:

BJ said...

These pictures are so great. I love when the seasons start to show their change.......some of the leaves falling from the trees....the garden starting to lose some of its color....but a few flowers that just seem to hang on. That's where yours is now. Those impatiens are gorgeous. The weather is just crazy right now. We are needing rain so much here.....just a little today. Still very warm here too. I would like to have some Fall weather. I had to turn the a.c. on today! Now that is crazy.

BTW - I love the picture with the solar lantern reflecting in the pond. It looks like the light is actually on. Great pictures.

Wanda said...

Oh the pictures are so lovely. Especially the last one. We need rain very badly. Today we had wind...no rain.
Beautiful post..:)

Jayne said...

Your garden is beautiful Marsha!