Wednesday, October 24, 2007

October crows...

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
(Robert Frost, "October", from A Boys Will, 1913)


Last week about 25-30 crows were hanging around. One day I even saw them chasing a red tailed hawk over the grove which was very entertaining.

I have a feeders on the opposite side of the pond as the hardy yellow mums...I sure like the yellow backgrounds on some of the latest bird photos :-) I thought this nuthatch was quite the poser!
We have lost all the leaves on our trees except for some cottonwoods and those darn invasive buckthorns which our entire underbrush is composed of. Oops, after just telling you the cottonwoods still have leaves...I noticed the photo I posted shows bare ones! These are on the NW corner and have taken the brunt of the high winds lately. This photo is another in the "Where's Ruger" series.

3 comments:

Jayme said...

That Ruger! He is always trying to be in the photo.

BJ said...

Marsha - I have seen the biggest crows around here that I have ever seen! I wonder if that means something as far as the weather is concerned. Cause it has been very warm here......but I am happy to report that we are finally getting rain, much needed rain. It is supposed to rain for the next couple of days. As much as I love sunshine, I welcome this much need precip!

RuthieJ said...

Wow, you sure live in a pretty spot!
I love those little nuthatches. I only have 1 and so far haven't been able to catch it with the camera.