Tuesday, December 11, 2012

joy day 11...

Everyday I read the Paul Douglas weather column. He is just a pretty interesting weather guy who I've watched for years on tv and now read via his blog. Today's simple joy came while reading his post and seeing the following graphic...
Of course, the "Home" and "Brooklyn's house" tag and pointers were not on Paul's graphic but I added them so you can see the source of my joy. I picked a good couple of days to spend up here watching Brooklyn with around 6" of snow on the ground while her Grandpa Jeff deals with the huge amounts back home! He said he spent the whole day yesterday moving snow for neighbors, businesses and on our own yard. To make me smile even wider I read the following quote further down Paul's post... "We just got our first taste of real winter, and the beginning of astronomical winter (which is meaningful only for those who live their telescopes) is less than 2 weeks away. Yet, we are very close to the first harbinger of spring! What? Yes, on Tuesday, Dec. 11, the sun will start setting later every day until the end of June. The reason for this happy happening is complicated, having to do with the changing speed of the Earth as it gets closest to the sun. Who cares why? Let's take heart from the news that our dark evenings will soon begin to brighten - and by the end of the month the sun will be setting a full ten minutes later than it is now." Who knew? The first day of winter on the calendar is not the shortest day of the year any longer - Yeah! Of course, I can't stay up here and not have photos to share of Brooklyn...modeling what Grandma picked out for her to wear today :)

No comments: