Monday, September 06, 2010

mosaic Monday...garden scenes

I went out with the camera this morning hoping to get a photo of the white-lined sphinx moth but he was way too fast and camera shy for me. So instead I shot a few photos of colors that were grabbing my attention - the clematis is for Rebecca after she commented on my "Marsha" gentian. It would be a beautiful namesake flower for you. It is one of my favorite clematis (zone 4-10) and though I bought mine at a local nursery it is online and instock at several places including Bluestone Perennials.

While my garden is mostly filled with birds these days we spent the weekend with Jayme and Scott and this little fellow is one of 3 very frequent visitors to their yard. I spied him 3 times on Saturday and once on Sunday. We created a flower garden space for them that I will transplant flowers from my garden to hers next week - I wonder if they will gets lots of blooming enjoyment from it or if it will become a giant salad buffet for their hooved friends.

Does anyone know what the plant on the lower right is? My husband brought me 4 different types of plants from a homeowner on one of his job sites - I received jack-in-the pulpit, ajuga, some unidentified spring bulbs and this plant. She told him I would love them but I don't like things in the backyard that spread so the ajuga is planted under the trees by the barn. If this is a spreader I would like to know so I can move it as well.

7 comments:

LaurieC said...

Hi Marsha - that plant looks to me like a pachysandra, which is a spreading groundcover - a good healthy plant, but... definitely spreads. I would verify tho with a plant guide, so you can see it up close & personal.
Hope you're having a good weekend.

BJ said...

Hi Marsha - LaurieC is right.....pachysandra it is! It is a lovely ground cover that spreads quickly. But stays nice & green like that. So if you aren't looking for ground covers....you probably would need to move this one.

Carol said...

yep, for once I recognize a plant. and that spreads. A lot! It's a really hardy one.

Love the mosaic, so pretty! and I love the visitor, although I know Kathleen won't when she sees him :)

Jayne said...

Oh, what a sweet spotted visitor!

troutbirder said...

What a sweet fawn. And those butterfly pics on the pine needles were just SPECTACULAR. Wow! I saw a Monarch gathering last week and posted about it but was unable to get any decent photos

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Beautiful garden mosaic Marsha, and what a beautiful shot of the fawn!

trishatfox said...

What a beautiful creature. Just how big is your garden?