Thursday, September 02, 2010

monarch migration continued...

Today is another one of those rainy, gray days so I didn't go outside with my coffee for my morning garden walk. In fact, I didn't even look out the windows in the backyard as I usually do because I needed to get in the office and prepare for a meeting. Around 1 p.m. I saw a hummingbird fly past the office window and remembered I needed to fill their feeders so I took a break and did so. In the garden I noticed quite a large number of monarchs flying around and then I looked at the pine tree in the garden and saw this...
I ran inside to grab the camera and found monarchs in all the evergreen trees.
I walked the perimeter of the yard and the trees all looked like this - small bunches of monarchs scattered over the whole tree.

Sometimes there were bigger groups of them making great photos.
There were many in the crabapple tree as well but not in groups - only singles here and there...
but most of them preferred the evergreen trees.



Some of them were harder to spot because they blended in with the hanging pinecones...
and many were flying in our gray skies.
The sun is peaking out as I am posting this and more are visiting the garden...
how I regret not going outside first thing this morning to see if there were masses in one tree like last week. This is the first time I have seen large bunches of migrating monarchs more than once. It usually is a one time, one day event - or else I am just missing them like I almost did today :)

Today, I am thankful that I remembered to feed the hummingbirds so that I was able to see this many monarchs visiting all at once a second time this season.

12 comments:

Wanda said...

How beautiful like Christmas tree ornaments.

That last photo is calling for another watercolor!!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Christmas ornaments,that's a good description.I am in awe of these sights.
Blessings,Ruth

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Splendid! You certainly capture nature at it's finest Marsha.

Carol said...

WOW! You certainly have some awesome sights where you live! Amazing! and such gorgeous shots, Marsha. Such an amazing talent!

Marigene said...

WOW, you have a real butterfly bush! I don't think I have ever seen that many Monarchs in one place...awesome photos!
Have a great weekend, Marsha.

trishatfox said...

Wow! All I can say is wow! I had no idea we had those kinds of monarch gatherings in Minnesota. Great shots, Marsha.

I'm so glad you like your book. Thanks for your kind words!

Jayne said...

How fortunate you are they they chose to stop in your trees for a rest Marsha! That is so very lovely to see so many bunched together like that. Wow.

Bonnie said...

I love these photos!

Simple Home said...

They are so beautiful. They look like feathers hanging there. Your photos of them are incredible.
Blessings,
Marcia

BJ said...

Oh Marsha! What beautiful pictures! I love butterflies! They are so lovely to look at.

Stopping by to say hello & hoping that you & your family are doing well. Looking forward to the Fall....and change....my favorite time of year. And a welcome change from the hottest Summer that I have ever known.

Take care & God bless!

kim said...

We live in Mississippi. I love to photos from other states to see what it is like. I like the pinecones they look different from ours and so pretty You take beautiful pictures.sillshill.blogspot

kim said...

Sorry about forgetting to leave words out above it is supposed to say I love to see photos from others states. I am typing too fast.