Monday, May 03, 2010

early May garden walk...

I wasn't going to do a May 1st garden walk as I'm embarrassed at the amount of weeds I have this year but after looking at last year's May garden walk, I am amazed at the difference in blooms and green growth. These shots are taken today May 3rd, so please ignore those pesky dandelions while we take a short walk over to the wildflower garden.I'm pleased to see lots of green growth and wildflower seedlings as well as a few tulips and the bleeding hearts blooming.
What I don't like seeing is that two 3 ft burning bushes seemed to have had severe winter kill on the branches with no budding out. They do have new growth coming up from the rootstock at least.
As we walk back to the house you can see the crabapple tree in full bloom - it smells so good!
In this bed I've had to replace a HF Young clematis (with Rosemoor) and there is some winter kill on the Harry Lauder's walking stick.
Walking to the other side of the driveway we see the rose & iris garden. Here I had severe winter kill on the roses and had to cut those that survived down to about 6" but they are doing well with new growth, two completely froze out.

On the side of the garage all the clematis overwintered well and have grown 2 ft tall already.
The fern peony is almost ready to bloom and after seeing some plants in the nursery last week I have discovered this is a valuable plant. A pot with 1/3 this root base was selling for $50 so I guess I am lucky to have two $150 plants :)
There isn't much to look at over by the barn yet, the clematis and perennials are up but the vegetable/herb area if full of dandelions.
Walking to the patio we see Pine Hollow and spring bulbs blooming.
Turning towards the pond we see more bulbs and my potted elephant ears that need to grow before I set them down in the pond.
Turning a little more to see the rest of the pond and garden.
Let's take a walk towards the cabin...
and look back towards the house...
before continuing to the back arbor.
Next we walk towards the bridge...and turn to walk towards the satellite arbor...
where we turn to cross the dry creek bed towards the red door.
A look back...
before walking back to the patio for one more view of the pond...
and Pine Hollow where so far I have added some lobelia that will only grow to 4" and some 1" tall groundcover that looks like little fern foilage, leptinella.
I sure hope the dandelions are gone by June 1st!

16 comments:

Kathy said...

The fern peony is so beautiful. I wish I had one of them! I'm going to have to watch for them at the garden centers.

Foley said...

You have done so much work already getting ready for summer. This winter has been hard on quite of few plants, The weight of all the snow played havoc all around!
Love the Fern peony - can't wait to see it in full bloom!

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, you have created a haven. It's all just beautiful!

Wanda said...

"I'm in heaven.....I'm in heaven..walking with you is like a walk in heaven!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The walk was so enjoyable,I didn't even notice the Dandelions.You have a lovely yard.
Blessings,Ruth

Mollie said...

Thanks for the walk. I felt much more relaxed afterward. And I've never seen a fern peony before. What an interesting plant. Where did you get yours? (I'm the San Diegan so I'm wondering if they would grow here--regular peonies don't.)

Jayne said...

It is so wonderful to gaze upon your garden in the different seasons Marsha!

Robin Lambright said...

Totally hate you right now, but in a good way! (LOL)

With the drought officially over in our area we have been working like little garden gnomes on our backyard landscape.

I finally have trees in my backyard and I am working on getting some bulbs and other plant material planted. My veggie patch is in and coming up gang busters and I finally have my herb garden planted.

I still have lots of work to do but we are at least on our way. I don't have near the space that you do. Our lot is so very small but at least it is a start.

I would love to have a small water feature in my backyard. I'm just not sure where I would put it with our lot being so small, maybe a small fountain or something??? Another project for another time.

Our next project is a small backyard shed which will help tremendously as all my garden paraphernalia is now stacked up next to the back door on the patio, not very functional or attractive!


Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with all of us. It is an inspiration!

Blessings
R

Darla said...

I look forward to your garden walks. Everything is looking so beautiful Marsha, you should be very proud!! My fav today is the fern peony......!

Bonnie said...

Everything looks wonderful. I want to come over!!!!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Everything looks great to me, Marsha! It's such a wonderful feeling seeing new growth and flowers blooming. You have so many wonderful features in your garden it looks good at any time of year!

jmatts said...

I really enjoy your garden tours! That first of the month comes around so quickly - just think of all the growth that's going to happen in the next 4 weeks!
Your spring is definately about a month ahead of mine in MT. I have some tulips & daffodils up (they're really tough) but it's 40's and snowflakes in our 5-day forecast yet.
Your monthly banners are so fresh & pretty too!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I could play all day in your gardens! Beautiful delights Marsha!

Terra said...

You have a lovely and extensive garden, and I especially like your pond and waterfall and bridge.

Suzy said...

Marsha, your garden is always such an inspiration to me. If I had the space I'd copy so much of what you've done. I'm sure you've shown it before, but this is the first time I've really focused in on your latticed area..what a great garden room. I'm always so envious of all your stepping stones and rock work. You've got a fortune in the stuff compared to what I'd have to pay here for the same.

I have always loved those fern peonies in pictures. Never seen one in person but it is so pretty. I hope it last for many years for you.

Hard to imagine the damage you have to deal with each year. It all looks beautiful to me from here though!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have beautiful gardens..I hardly saw a weed at all! I have let mine go to wildflowers..I had so many..and they were so weedy..I am ok with that ..and it is far less work:)