These are what are left of my goldfish, they been dormant in a tank in the garage all winter but are starting to become more active. I checked the water and it is still very cold so hopefully they will slow down and wait for April to be fed. Yes, I said "to be fed" - did you know that it is harmful for goldfish to eat if the water temp is below 50-55 degrees? They have been in this tank since I took them out of the pond in mid-November and I haven't fed them since around the first of November since the pond was pretty cold then already.

Today's view of the garden and pond makes it look like...

they will have to continue swimming circles in the garage for a while yet.

It has been in the upper 30's & low 40's for a week so the snowpack has really gone done - I would say a foot or more already. Today it is raining so that should speed things along as well so hopefully in a month the pond will be thawed out and running. Looking back at last year's photos the pond was cleaned out and the fish were in by April 18th and green was popping out all over - I can't wait!

I began this post with "this is what is left of my goldfish" - last year my goldfish population took a huge hit - first I was visited daily for a week by this guy in May...

and in June a family of these guys must have had their fill because by late summer we couldn't hardly spot any fish.

There are only 3 large fish left that were part of the 40+ I overwintered last year. All the others you see in the above photos are last year's offspring and 3 of the 5 fantails Nathan & Tammy gave me for Mother's Day.
I know I said I just couldn't wait for the snow to melt and the garden to look like this in April, but...

who am I kidding - this is what I really want after such a long winter!

I'm joining in with our hostess, Susan, A Southern Daydreamer, for Outdoor Wednesday again today. Please click
HERE to see her 61st OW post along with the 80+ others participating.
22 comments:
Wow! What a transformation! Your garden is quite lovely. I just love the way things come alive in the spring.
Thanks for coming by to visit me at the cottage. Please come again.
~Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
Oh my gosh, your pond is just beautiful, no matter what the season, but of course more so in the summer, that is amazing how many flowers you have there :) What a delight to see, I'm just sad that you still have snow all over, it's lovely for Christmas but not March :( Hope it melts soon. Thanks for visiting me
xx
OOoohhh I would be longing for that lush green and so many blooms too. It is so beautiful. Your gardens look like they are part of a tourist spot.
Maybe the rain will get rid of some of the snow. I know you are so ready to dig out from under all the white stuff.
Hoping you have warmer and sunny skies soon.
You have to be kidding me? No food since November? WOW! I can't wait to watch your gardens come to life, I love them!
You make me more than homesick for Spring...and your beautiful garden to bloom and come alive. All I can think of is how much WORK you have to put into it. I don't know how you do it but I am glad you do.
Things are going to change a lot in the next month - I hope! Rainy here today through Saturday with highs around 50 so the snow should be gone soon. Probably too soon to hope that there won't be any more white stuff.
I hope your beautiful fish fair much better this year!
At this time of year it seems like spring is so far away,but soon the gardens and ponds will be active again.I too am anxiously waiting.
Blessings,Ruth
What a lovely garden you have! My husband and I are just starting to plan our backyard area and I'll have to show him what you've done. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
thanks for the info re goldfish... love the garden shame it's snowing but soon the weather willb e warm again in your end..
Beautiful garden! I have some fish like that :) Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
I have to agree, what ever the season the beauty is to die for!
Those greens in the last picture.. oh my...lush!!!!
That's amazing to me that they don't eat all winter long. Wow. Hope you are able to keep those who are left away from the predators! And, can't wait to see your garden all bloomed out in all its glory!
Unbelieveable what a few months can make..from your lips to God's ear to get an early spring!!
I just love seeing the winter then summer pictures. It makes me not only appreciate what you've done, but it also makes me appreciate what I could possibly see this summer in my own garden.
Yours is so beautiful. Lots of hard work in that one.
Thanks for the new info about goldfish! You have a gigantic pond. It is awesome! Joan
I had no idea goldfish went dormant. It's true, you do learn something new every day. Do you have a problem with local cats going "fishing" too? It's so interesting to see the transformation of your garden. It looks pretty in all of the photos though :-)
Blessings,
Marcia
Marsha, I enjoyed seeing your garden flashbacks, and know that spring is just around the corner :-) Hang in there.
Oh my goodness, your gardens and pond are beautiful! Interesting about the fish, I had no idea that you couldn't feed them when the water was cold. Do they hibernate? Beautiful photos. Kathy
You have a fabulous pond! It must take a lot of upkeep but I am sure it is well worth it and very rewarding. Thank you for sharing your lovely pond with us!
~ Tracy
The overwintering of fish amazes me. I'll never forget your green heron. Your gardens are beautiful no matter the season, but I can only imagine how tired you are of the snow. Maybe all the rain will beat down the snow. :)
I am absolutely drooling over that water feature. Just gorgeous! I'm also a little amazed that your fishies are so tough. I never would have guessed they could winter in a garage and be okay.
I love your koi-pond
Post a Comment