It is so cold outside that a chickadee, female hairy woodpecker, a female downy woodpecker and a blue jay are showing the frost around their eyes! I looked at the outside temp and it was -28 degrees F this morning and the inside of my windows are even frosty leaving the temp on the windowsill at 48. A check of our furnace thermostat confirms the outside temp at -28 but it is sunny with no wind so it actually didn't seem as cold as other recent days when I went out to fill the feeders for my frozen friends.
Fluffed out at the feeder tree and ready for their close ups are a female hairy, junco, female downy, bluejay, goldfinch, male downy and a chickadee.I don't know where the bluejays slept but they were the frostiest even on their back feathers!
21 comments:
Oh my stars! I just want to snuggle them!! It's not getting out of the 40's today and a little windy. I bet that sounds like a heatwave to you..lol.
Yikes!These birds look COLD.I guess ours look no different,it is just plain very cold.The morning temperature was -29.2C.
Blessings,Ruth
Oh my GOODNESS!! I have never seen a Blue with a frosted face. He is absolutely adorable. I just want to scoop him up and give him a snuggle. Although I know Mother Nature gave him everything he needs to survive in the cold, 20 below is crazy and no one should have frosted eye lashes. Beautiful photos of this sweetie... Happy New Year!!
p.s. I love your review post with all your headers--they really are gorgeous.
Oh, they do look cold! Can't Jeff work up some kind of heated bird house for them all?? lol
It's that cold down here too - not even going to budge to go outside..bad enough just to open the door to let Bailey out!
Great photos!!
Awesome pics ... poor little fellas, that is COLD!
Happy New Year! May your year bring beauty, joy & blessings ...
TTFN ~ Marydon
OMG Marsha!
These are fabulous pics just fabulous! We had -15 at our home this morning so I am in the same boat as you, but your pics really brighten the day! The frost around his eyes is just unreal, poor little birdie! Happy New Year to you, Cindy
Oh, my! Now, THAT is cold! Poor Jay looks just frozen. I often wonder how many just don't make it through really cold times like this. Wonderful collages Marsha.
The birds are so tolerant and strong to get through this weather. And, I thought windchill of 5 was cold... it doesn't touch your -28. brrrrrrrrr makes me shiver. I love when the birds fluff up and look fat like your little guys trying to stay warm... Happy New Year Marsha.
oh the poor dears. what enchanting photos.
thank you for sharing!
Beautiful photos--as usual, but those poor birds. Frosted eyelashes? I agree that your husband needs to build them a heated shelter!! :-)
Hope the cold spell breaks soon.
Do you use a heated bird bath?
I can't even imagine what -28 feels like. I love the photos of the little birds though. Have a wonderful New Year Marsha!
Blessings,
Marcia
Marsha ... such wonderful pictures.
I always enjoy seeing the little birds all fluffed out, but I have to admit it tugs at my heartstrings to see the them with frost around their eyes. I know how cold it must be for you to re-fill their feed, but you're very kind to do it.
My mom and I were just talking about the birds that come to her feeder in the winter. We want to knit them all little jackets! Brrr, it is cold there Marsha. The frost around their eyes says it all.
Your photos are amazing.
Yes it is cold! Yesterday it was -19 here & I too thought about the animals outside as I saw a cat just lying around licking her paws. Wow! So hard to imagine just lying around out there...& those birds! Brrrr!
I've seen frosty bluejay faces here before too. I didn't notice any yesterday, but I did see steam coming from a sparrow's beak every time he opened his mouth to crack a seed. Isn't is amazing they can survive in this cold weather?
Great Blue Jay pictures. These -20+ temps at night must really be hard on the birds. This morning I saw a Cardinal with a all white frost on it's topknot. Sure wish I would have had my camera with me.
What beautiful close-ups of the Blue Jay, Marsha! I love the contrast of his blue against the golden background. Poor little frosty guy.
I made John go out to buy birdseed for me yesterday :) It was a challenge - LOL!
Marsha..I have never witnessed this before..birds with frost around the eyes!
A couple of days ago here in Michigan we were in the low teens 16 freezing windy degrees! and I always worry about our feathered friends during extreme winters and blogged about it.
These Wonderful photos you captured of these birds are fantastic!!
Aw, I feel so sorry for the frosty birds.
Post a Comment