Tuesday, January 19, 2010

hoar frost

We have been lucky enough to have hoar frost each morning this week - a true winter wonderland outside!









I am always in awe of the tiny little leaf-like frost crystals and if my fingers weren't frozen numb I would have taken many more photos. I will have to try again for close-ups another day.

26 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Your pics are absolutely amazing Marsha! My post has the same title for tonight but your pics are way better! Great shots! Cindy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This is amazing photography.To see all this fine detail just makes me realize what an awesome God we serve.
Blessings,Ruth

Blondie's Journal said...

Stunning images, Marsha, The snow and frost almost looks surreal!!

xoxo
Jane

From the Old InkWell said...

What a winter wonderland! Great photos!

Darla said...

I don't quite understand the hoar frost thing..I've seen photos posted on other blogs about it...It is just beautiful to see!! Your photos are outstanding as usual Marsha, I so enjoy visiting here.

Jayne said...

Oh, how stunningly beautiful Marsha!

RuthieJ said...

Your photos are beautiful Marsha! And lucky you -- you had some blue skies and sun which makes everything that much more gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

I love your close ups of the hoar frost.

Dirt Princess said...

I had never heard of a hoar frost until recently! Obviously...I live in the South, and we don't have this! It is absolutely beautiful!!!! I love your close up shots! I am definitely getting a macro lens soon!

Carol said...

It's gorgeous! Really a winter wonderland! The pup doesn't seem to mind the cold, Marsha :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Just beautiful, Marsha! Your frost was much, much thicker than ours. We rarely get hoar frost here and I've never seen it as grand as yours.

Susan Holt Simpson said...

These photos are amazing - the close ups of the frost!

What lovely sights to see outside your window!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Marsha these photos are simply breathtaking! And, what a cute companion you have for this pretty winter hike!

Jayme said...

I love the red stick with the frost! We don't seem to have that type of frost up north which is a bummer I'd love to get some photos like yours.

JeanMac said...

You should submit those to be made into Christmas cards! Beautiful.

Cynthia said...

What beauty! I love the detail of the frost in the last picture. I was unaware that it was called hoar frost. Our grass and trees were covered with it last weekend. I kept talking about the spiky frost on our grass. Now, I know the proper term.

jalynn01 said...

Im thinking that it has to be really really cold to get this kind of frost all over everything. I haven't seen it here in PA...and I'm not complaining, but it sure is beautiful beautiful..

Mollie said...

The detail is incredible. Great photographer and great camera! Plus a very steady hand! THanks for the treat.

Mollie said...

The detail is incredible. Great photographer and great camera! Plus a very steady hand! THanks for the treat.

Simple Home said...

We don't get anything like that around here. That is soooo beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Marcia

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Oh such natural beauty Marsha!

BJ said...

I love when you post these Marsha! They are just so amazing & beautiful! Everything looks magical!

Auntie Cake said...

This week was so amazing! My kids enjoyed running to tell me how pretty it was outside each morning. Your pictures are amazing!!! I tried, but my sad little camera just wasn't feeling it. Thanks for sharing, I was so wishing I could capture these incredible mornings, and the beautiful crystals, so glad you did it for me!
Kate

Vetsy said...

Wow! Marsha.. I have never experienced a hoar frost in my neck of the woods here in Michigan...Those photos are absolutely beautiful.

Peggy said...

I love these...And the last shot is amazing! Such great detail of delicate crystals!

Lisa said...

LOVE the pictures of the hoar frost. I've always wished I could photograph the BIG tree from grandpa & grandma Johnson's farm covered in frost. It is truly amazing the beauty God provides.