"By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer."
(Helen Hunt Jackson, September, 1830-1885) 
Perfect September weather is here...cool evenings and nice days, so I was surprised to see baby birds still in the garden.

Mother wren is still busy feeding her young in this house. On Friday, I was able to sit close by and capture a few good shots and one of the young was very curious of my presence while mom was out hunting for more food.

Last night, Jeff & I were sitting outside watching the busy hummingbirds when we noticed this little guy.

He hasn't quite mastered the technique of continually flying while feeding so he would grasp onto each petunia to feed, sometimes having to use his outstretched wings to prop himself up on another flower.

He took frequent rests between feeding and wasn't afraid of my presence.

Here you can see his feet latched onto the blossom and a wing out for support.

I tried so very hard to focus fast enough to catch the mother feeding him but the action just happened to fast for me. This blurry shot shows the youngsters beak wide open for food.

My second try wasn't much better :-)

The little guy and his mom were so entertaining. I hope I have many more opportunities to try and capture them before they leave for the year.

I love this last shot, the little guy was hanging on and leaning over backwards trying to get fed.
12 comments:
These are the coolest photos mom! Wish I was there to see this.
So neat to have seen the baby hummer being fed! Lucky you- hope you get more pix to share.
That was exciting! I've never seen that, let alone captured it! Congratulations - these are beautiful. BTW, I love the nestbox.
Absolutely awesome Marsha!
Your photos are always stunning. You have mastered capturing fascinating bird activities ~ it is NOT easy to do. (Beleive me, I know!)
Thank you so much for sharing them. I love your blog. :) ~Mary
WOW! Those are some beautiful shots! The colors are so pretty and how sweet to see the mommy feeding her baby!
I hope you get the opportunity to shoot more of the hummers too! They are wonderful!
Those were just delightful!! That mama wren sure had a big bug for the baby...enough to choke on.. And the hummers were just to die for. I would have been in heaven with those shots. The mama feeding the baby and the baby so unsteady and not able to hoover to feed. How cool! Hope you get more picts!!
Awwwwww Marsha! I've never seen a baby hummer, let alone mom feeding one! What a wonderful capture. I can't believe you still have babies ready to fledge!
I just wandered over from Helen's site. What wonderful photos! I've never seen a baby hummingbird and those are just precious! How great to see the mother feeding him!
I adore that birdhouse!!! Hummingbirds are quite entertaining, great photos!!
The hummingbird photos are really great! Some of the best I have seen. But the baby looking out of the box is actually my favorite.
Oh Marsha, those are fabulous pictures! I'm glad to see that your yard and garden have hosted so many bird families this year.
Hi Marsha!
Bird Girl thought I might enjoy your post about hummers, and I sure did! Amazing stuff! I guess I never thought that mom hummers still fed their babies out of the nest, but it makes total sense, I'm just used to seeing the chasing off behavior...Anyway, I loved your shots of such an endearing behavior! What a find!
Post a Comment