Friday, September 12, 2008

hummingbird routines...

Gentle day's flower -
The hummingbird competes
With the stillness of the air.
(Chogyam Trungpa)

While watching the hummingbirds, I noticed they have a definite routine. First they come flying out of the grove and drink from the cardinal vine on the back arbor. Then they perch awhile on the hydrangea and look around to see if another hummer dares invade their territory (which there usually is) and then wonderful hummer aerial displays happen with mid-air fighting and chases which for the life of me, I can't capture on film.
Their favorite flower to drink from is the black and blue salvia which are planted in front of the cabin. Today, I stood on the porch of the cabin and waited for the flying antics to get over and one flew right up to me.
It was the young one because he tired easily and grabbed on a while to feed.
My best shot of the day, look his tongue totally missed the flower!
I wish I had more time these days to be outside watching these little guys. They are so much fun!

12 comments:

DANBLINE52 said...

hello !
I'm a french woman who has a blog with pictures of flowers and a lot of other things !
I'm a writer and pictures are my hobby !
You can see my blog on this adress :
www.DANBLINE52.blogspot.com.
I love your photos...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Looks like the trolls found you Marsha. :(

Your last hummer picture is PERFECTION!

Marsha said...

Thanks to a call from Jayme, I think I caught most of the spammers and deleted them. Sorry, if anyone had to see them besides Lynn :-)

jalynn01 said...

You really got some cool antics. They are just too cute. I am down to seeing only one or two here now. I guess they are starting to migrate.

BJ said...

Your photo's are absolutely gorgeous! You captured them perfectly! Thanks for sharing Marsha! Perfection!

The Birdlady said...

Wonderful shots!

Jen said...

Stunning!
These guys have so much stamina-
they go for hours here playing and chasing each other. I could hardly believe all the noise they make when I first heard them. I guess sugar will do that to you.

Jayne said...

Oh, that last photo is priceless Marsha! They are all glorious really. :c)

Wanda said...

I love your photo's... They are so amazing.

I especially love the last one with all the purple, and the emerald humming bird.

RuthieJ said...

Wow Marsha -- those are the most amazing photos! I think we all wish we had more time outside to be watching those little guys!

troutbirder said...

They all said but to repeat these pictures are wonderful. Enjoyed looking at your blog
troutbirder

Anonymous said...

Marsha, your bird pictures are always incredible, and these are no exception..... Actually all your pics are delightful and special.

Cynthia