Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns.
(George Eliot)
Last night I saw some more migrating birds at the rock so this morning, I sat out with my camera to see who is all visiting on this last day of September. First to appear are the robins, they are definitely the "early birds" and are usually the first ones on the rock every day. A song sparrow was the next to arrive.

Then the "regulars" come, the goldfinches and the house sparrows (I didn't bother with a photo of those)...

and the bluejays.

Next, was a pretty little warbler. I'm not sure but with the bright white eye ring he might be a Nashville warbler.

A junco came in

but was frightened off when a white throated sparrow arrived.

As I was trying to take a photo of those two, another bird flew in...

some type of sparrow and as I try to identify it, the shy junco tries once again to come in.

Yes, it is a Harris sparrow! Might be a juvenille male since his black marking isn't has promient.

Finally, the shy junco gets the rock to himself...

and starts to bathe...

when a second one joins him.

A yellow rumped warbler waits his turn...

and as he bathes, I notice he also has a spot of yellow on his head. I've never really paid attention to that before.

I wonder what October will bring the garden?
12 comments:
Marsha these are wonderful!
My favorite is the junco, belly in the water, with his pink beak open and his eyes closed.
"Oooh...this bath feels so good after my long flight from the northland..."
I can't hardly wait to see what comes to your garden in Oct. You take the most beautiful photos of birds. Thank you for sharing them.
You have the happiest birds I think I've ever seen. How lucky to have such a variety, too.
What a wonderful parade of "visitors." I enjoyed every one. Thanks for sharing.
I love all your bird bath photos. They are just amazing and I can't wait for the next wave of visitors. They really love that rock with springs of living water!!! How very very cool Marsha!
These are all marvelous - I can't pick a favorite - well not one favorite - the bathing beauties are just wonderful.
What a fun day at your water spa! So many lovely visitors Marsha. :c)
Wow Marsha! I am so impressed with your bathers! You MUST have a wonderful magnet of a yard for birds of all varieties! Wow, warblers! Amazing photos and too cute all soaking wet!
Looks like you have a great place to capture lots of bird photographs.
I've never seen a junco taking a bath before....those pictures are so cute! (I'm so jealous of your water rock!)
Your photos are wonderful! You have created a special haven for some very lucky birds. Thank you so much for sharing.
love the jays, blue is so striking in the garden~
Post a Comment