Friday, September 07, 2007

What I've learned...

about hummingbirdsThey are very territorial and guard the feeder they have staked out as their own. I have 4 feeders up and there is always one perched either on the hook or a nearby structure, plant or tree. When another comes there is lots of flying acrobatics going on that no matter how hard I try I can't capture with the camera, but it is one of the highlights of my days. This one is worth clicking for the larger view as you can see her individual feathers raised.
I've also learned that they stay much longer at a feeder port then they do at a flower. I usually have time to focus and get the shot at the feeder, but...
at a flower is another story! This is another favorite plant, the black and blue salvia. It is quite the hummer favorite and they are constantly stopping by for a taste. The trouble is they zoom in and back up so fast I can't get the shot! This guy has actually backed off the blossom because I couldn't press the shutter fast enough.

2 comments:

BJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BJ said...

Marsha - this is where I tried previously to leave a comment.

This hummer is so beautiful. You are always able to capture them so perfectly clear. I love coming each day or so to see what beautiful things you have posted here.