Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Indigo blues...


I love the indigo buntings...one of the shyest birds in the garden but lucky for me they like to take a bath like everyone else.

I did a little reading on them and they are the bluest of all our blue birds and they are known for their sweet songs.

Edward Howe Forbush, a famous New England ornithologist in the early twentieth century, effused: "The male seems to delight in singing during the hottest part of the summer days, when other birds are resting in the shade. He will sing his way from the bottom of a tree to the top, going up branch by branch until he has reached the topmost spire, and there, fully exposed to the blazing sun, he will sing and sing and sing."

Indeed! A male indigo bunting will utter as many as 680 songs an hour if he's looking for a mate. That's one amazing fact!


5 comments:

BJ said...

Marsha - these blue birds are just gorgeous! The pictures are beautiful! You captured them so nicely. And I loved the history lesson.

sandy said...

Just beautiful. Loved reading about them.

Sharon said...

He looks like he's having a ball! Birds are so much fun to watch... they never let you down.

Mollie Page said...

Just found your blog through sandys blog links. You have some great photos here. I love the birds bathing! Your tulip is beautiful too.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Wonderful shots, I have only seen the indigo bunting a few times in my yard.