Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spring is really here...

I love the spring.
For every day
There's something new
That's come to stay.
Another bud
Another bird
Another blade
The sun has stirred.
(author unknown)
The sure signs of spring are really here now...the white throated sparrows have arrived in a large flock and the juncos are all gone.
Tuesday evening, I noticed there were a lot fewer juncos around and there was lots of "competition" or let's just say "fighting" at the dinner table between the white throats and remaining juncos. By Wednesday morning, I couldn't see a junco around and even after I put out their favorite corn shellings not a one came to feed. I kept a lookout all day and again this morning but I would say they are gone - the one true sign of spring for me - my little "snow" birds are gone :-)

1 comment:

sandy said...

That was great seeing the white throats. I have white crowned sparrows, but no white throats out here in So. California. Well...I haven't seen any that is.

My neighbor told me we are in a migratory path here so I'm anxious to see more birds this year. This is the first year basically I have paid attention to the birds around here.

So your juncos leave? I didn't know they were snow birds.

I'll be following along here to see what birds show up.

sandy