Saturday, May 24, 2014

Serviceberry...

After planting a serviceberry shrub when I created my garden in 2000-2001, I couldn't help but awe at how much it was a bird magnet until every last berry was gone. The fact that it has beautiful white spring blossoms and great yellow fall color was the icing on the cake. Soon I added a serviceberry tree, behind the rock fountain for a spot for the birds to roost before going down to drink or bathe and then once again to roost and groom. Planting this tree was a decision I have never regretted, the tree version has the same beautiful white spring blossoms but has awesome red-orange fall foiliage. This week the tree was in full blossom so I always had my camera handy to capture some of the beautiful birds perched amongst the blossoms.
The indigo bunting is so shy I could never crank open my window before he flew away so these last photos are a little hazy taken through my dirty window. Getting them washed this weekend is high priority so I can get some better shots!
A few none serviceberry shots because Mr. and Mrs. Goldfinch are always so cooperative during photo shoots!

1 comment:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful pictures.I always like to see birds among the blossoms.